Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage where are your piggie cages housed?

guinysmom

Cavy Slave
One thing in researching online about gp's I noticed is there aren't many mentions of or photos of where
people house their piggy cages. I have read they should be around us.
Some pictures I have scene seem like in bedrooms. What I would really like to know and think would help other new guinea pig owners, people considering getting them is where is yours? Do you have it in your living rooms?

I almost decided against getting a gp because I just could not figure out where to put their cage.

I went with a c&c 2x3 cage and put it in my living room.
I thought my husband would have a fit but he didn't the only thing he said was the fleece should at least go with the colors of the room.
That is problably only because I will not allow him to just buy anything for decoration, he has a habit of just picking out the craziest looking things so I think he was just trying to make a point with that, lol.

Anyways, can you share pics of where your cage is in your house?
where are your piggie cages housed?
Mine is along the stairs in "again" the living room to the side so its out the way but around tue family

My pigs live in the livingroom. Their cage is right next to the tv and between the couch. When we are home, they run freely, we piggie proofed the living room.

My piggies' cages are currently in the living room. We spend the most time there and it's the only room that gets natural daylight and isn't freezing. I live in a bi-level basement apartment, so my options of appropriate rooms are limited.

Next year my roomie and I are moving into a 3 BR house with another roomie and the piggies will either go in the living room, upstairs living room or in my bedroom. Haven't really figured that out yet since we're not in that house until July/August.

Our girls were in our living room since that is where we spend most of our time. We moved it into the extra bedroom when we were dog sitting for my in-laws dog (so he couldn't get to them unless we were present). We haven't gotten around to moving it back out yet.

Sorry, totally off topic, but how do you and your piggies like that tree stump hidey? I saw it at the store yesterday and was going to buy it, but was worried it would trap the smell of urine.

Currently their cage is in my daughter's room upstairs. My room is right next door. She's homeschooled, and I take most of my college classes online, so upstairs is where I am most of the day. We just moved, and before she was in her room almost all day. But since my mother and sister moved in with us (why we moved- bigger place) she is downstairs most of the day. So I've started the process of moving them into my bedroom. My computer, desk/sewing center, and TV is in my room, so I hide out in here all day. I go into her room very frequently to talk to them, clean their cage and feed them, but they come into my room with me for lap time. Everyone else visits them a couple times a day, but I would really like them to be where I am all day. The only issue I have now with placement is temperature. The geniuses who designed these townhouses decided that having the furnace upstairs was a good idea, and so we've found that it stays very warm to hot upstairs and freezing downstairs in the winter. Downstairs isn't really an option as I'm rarely spending any time down there, and we have 2 Dachshunds..one with a fairly high prey drive. We've had to turn the AC on a few times, and it's not quite as bad with that situation. We're looking into getting one of those tower fans that acts like a mini AC for our room, so again it looks like my room is going to be the best bet after all. Lots of natural light during the day as well.

Mine are in the dinning room but we have an open concept so dinning, living and kitchen are all one big space. See our table?

Sorry, totally off topic, but how do you and your piggies like that tree stump hidey? I saw it at the store yesterday and was going to buy it, but was worried it would trap the smell of urine.

He seems to like it but has started chewing on it so I think I will be replacing. He does piss where he sleeps so may not be a good idea to get since there is not a second hole or vents on top. It's pretty heavy so he can't move it. I thought it looked nice but honestly that's about it, there are better ones out there. He cant even get on top.

OMG I LOVE UR CAGE :) r those two separate cages or r they connected so the same guineas can use both? (it looks like two cages, but it would be so cool if there was a ramp so that it was one huge cage)

OMG I LOVE UR CAGE :) r those two separate cages or r they connected so the same guineas can use both? (it looks like two cages, but it would be so cool if there was a ramp so that it was one huge cage)

I was orginally going to do a ramp but my boars started fighting just before this cage was done and after about 6 months of living happily together. I have not been able to get them to rebond and it has been a year. :(

I was orginally going to do a ramp but my boars started fighting just before this cage was done and after about 6 months of living happily together. I have not been able to get them to rebond and it has been a year. :(

:( I'm sorry. That stinks

Ours is in the kitchen. The kids do homework there and we are in there a lot so its a good place for them. Not to mention its perfect for being able to sweep around the cage and give them veggies each time we pass through, lol.

This is from December, since then the cage and table have flip-flopped so they are opposite of where they are in the picture. I also switched the boys' cage back to fleece, the picture shows Aspen bedding.

George is kept in my room in the basement cause that's where I spend all of my time when I'm not working. He gets to go upstairs every day for some natural light since there are no windows in my room. :)

Mine are in the dinning room but we have an open concept so dinning, living and kitchen are all one big space. See our table?

View attachment 47682

I love the cage! My cage is in the dinning room which is open to the living room and kitchen too. At first it was behind the dinning room table but I moved that to the wall and put the cage in the center of the room since we haven't eating at that table since we moved in here. I just can't get rid of it because it does hold the fruit basket and is a collect all until we put stuff away.

I have my mini herd's cage in my bedroom. My male trio's cage in a spare room.

And then for the rescue, we have their out of quarantine cages in my mums room and the lounge, we then have two spare rooms for which the pigs in quarantine go or for sick ones who can't be kept near the other pigs.

mine is in the living room, which is open plan with the kitchen, so the girls & I can see each other. The room gets good natural light and air.

Mooshy is right next to me by the couch in the living room, at eye level so we literally see "eye to eye" when she's eating her pellets. I'm home 24/7 , live alone, and am a couch potato so she gets the most attention of most gps since I interact with her more than tv unless she's napping.

I sleep on the couch too. The kitchen/dining/living room is basically one big room so she sees me in the kitchen and starts turning her pigloo in the direction of the kitchen when she wants her nummies. It's so cute! It's like a small spy dome slowly turning to spy on me! lol

We live in a small rental house which is very open, so my pigs are right in the middle of where the kitchen and living room are, so they live in a very high traffic area. c:

Mine are in my bedroom :)
Its nice to listen to them while going to sleep...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.