Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Is this alright to eat??

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I have now just about given up almost all meat and I only eat eggs from a local farmer, whose chickens are truly free range. This farmer also have about 5 pigs and 10 cows that he will be killing this year for meat for him and his family. This is where I have a problem, he has asked me if I wanted to buy any of the meat or even an entire animal. Would this be alright to eat?? The animals are completely free range and are treated wonderfully...just like members of the family sometimes and the entire reason I am giving up meat is because of the abuse they endure, but these animals were not and will not be abused (I am sure that this man believes strongly in humane killings, not torture). Would it still be wrong for me to get meat from him or would this still be supporting the meat industry in some way??? I am really conflicted with this.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
In my opinion the problem with eating meat is factory farming. One of the only ways to stop factory farming is to stop eating meat OR support a family farm. If this man is running a family farm then, in my opinion, you are doing nothing wrong. In fact you will be helping him to continue his farming techniques and stop a factory farm from buying him out.

I'm sure you will get responses from people about not eating animals no matter what. I respect that opinion but happen to see things differently.

Humans are omnivours. We eat both vegetable matter and meat. The only reason we can choose to be vegetarians is that we have the knowledge to create a balanced diet without the meat. We are made, however, to need a certain amount of protien whether it's through vegetarian suppliments or animal flesh.

In the end it's up to you. I think whatever you choose is the right thing. In this scenerio there is no wrong choice.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Thank you...your response has helped me a lot. I personally have no problem eating meat and I beleive that we are omnivours, but I couldn't stand buying meat knowing what the animals went through. I think I will buy this meat, because I really do want to support this farmer, since he is so good to his animals. I know that other people have different opinions on this and I am open to them, but I really just wanted to know if this went against everything that animal rights stands for or if humane killing was "acceptable".

elspeth

Cavy Slave
Its up to you since you are your own person & have to make your own decisions.

Personally, after being veggie for about four months, I wouldn't even consider eating meat whether the animals were treated well or not. Ultimately, they will still have to die so that you can have your meal...happy little frolicking piggies one minute and dead the next.

But that's just my opinion...its up to you!

P.S I don't think there is such a thing as 'humane killing'!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.