Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shy? Terrified?

scrapchris

Cavy Slave
We are new piggy parents. We chose our particular little girl because she was very quiet and snugly when we held her, but now I'm not sure that was a good thing. She seems scared to death! She is in a 2X3 c and c cage and will not venture out of her little "cave" that is in there. She did eat part of a carrot last night, but hasn't touched her veggies I put in there this morning (and we were gone for a few hours today, so she had quiet time to explore). There isn't much gone from her water bottle either. I have no idea how much is a normal amount for her to be eating. Is there anything I should be doing to help her settle in to her new home? Is she ok?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Well, a buddy will likely help her look and search her Cage.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Getting her another furry friend would definitely help! :) Has she ever eaten veggies before? I got my boys when they were babies, so they'd never had veggies. I ended up having to cut the veggies (carrots, cucumbers, peppers, etc.) into very tiny pieces and sprinkling it on top of their pellet food to get them to even try it.

Also, how long have you had her? If you've gotten her just recently, it's pretty normal behavior especially if she's by herself. It will take her some time to get comfortable and used to her new surroundings. :)

Lishar

Cavy Slave
I agree a buddy will likely help :)

Molasses

Cavy Slave
A buddy will help but also if you just got him he could still be adjusting too. When I first got my pig she didn't drink or eat much at all! And she stayed in her igloo a lot. If ur feeding her veggies with lots of water in them she could be getting her water source there. Also when ur home take out her igloo so she has to run around a little bit

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
piggies tend to freeze up when they're scared, which could explain why she seemed quiet and snuggly (plus they will try to hide in any corner of your body).

i'd suggest putting one more hidey at the other end of the cage. i know it conflicts with another suggestion but i feel it would stress a piggy if she doesn't have a place to hide and feel safe. you could place her veggies in the other hidey and see if she has went there to eat it.

does she have constant access to pellets and hay at least? take a note if she's eating those too. for now the best thing you could do is leave her in her new home for a day more, and talk to her softly for a few days after... try to hand feed her veggies.

and as everyone else suggested, a buddy would be great.

best of luck with your piggy, i hope she calms down to eat normally soon!

piggies0117

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone else. A buddy would help. For some reason pigs like to eat food in competition type ways. When I first got my girls I would leave the veggies out for longer than a couple hours so they could see that its not going to go anywhere or someone isn't gonna scare them. As your pig warms up she will eat the veggies as soon as you put them down! lol

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I'll toss in another plug for a buddy, preferably one who's a little older and who already has a calm personality. I adopted my guinea pig Amy from Craigslist, and she came from a chaotic household where she was used to noise, people, and other pets running around. Then I adopted Quinn, who was much younger and who had belonged to a kid who lost interest. Quinn was very shy and nervous at first, but Amy was a great influence on her. She's still the more flighty of the two but is so much better now.

Also, if you get a buddy who eats veggies, it's likely to bring out the competitive spirit in your current girl. She'll likely want to try what the other piggy is eating.

If you get another guinea pig, make very, very certain of its sex. Otherwise you could have an unplanned pregnancy on your hands.

Good luck with the new family member! Remember, she's a prey animal and is undergoing a big adjustment now. Hopefully she'll settle in soon.

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
Yes, do get her a friend! Such a difference in personality before and after! To get her used to veggies, chop them up into teeny pieces & mix it in with her pellets. Or, if that doesn't work, you could try the piggy carrot burrito....hollow out a carrot & put the other veggies in it. :cheerful:

scrapchris

Cavy Slave
So far everyone has said "get her a friend". I want to wait a bit before we do that because she was previously housed with two males and I want to be sure she isn't pregnant. If she does end up having a litter, we would probably keep a female baby if there was one. Also, we really don't have a lot of extra space for a quarantine space at the moment.

I gave her a small piece of apple last night when we went up to bed and she ate most of it. (I know apples are only an occasional food). I will try cutting up some veggies into small pieces today and see what she thinks of that.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
that's a very valid point, glad you've thought it through :)

happy to hear she ate that apple, hopefully she'll warm up to the other veggies too :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.