Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Alternative to C&C Questions

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
Has Anyone converted a coffee table, book shelf, or old dresser into a cage? I tried to find some pictures but couldn't find any. Do you think it would be possible? If so what would be some important things to keep in mind when making one?

lissie

Cavy Slave
There are some pics in this gallery.
(broken link removed)

Things to consider are:
1) How easy is it to keep clean. Will you be able to waterproof the base so urine don't soak through?
2) Is it safe for the pigs? Will they be ale to chew the parts and if so, are they toxic?
3) Do you have other animals or small kids in the house? Will the cage need a top?

That's all I can think of right now.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
This is my self built alternative cage...Hope it helps?

Attachments

20130127_200749.jpg Randburg-20121101-00597.jpg Randburg-20121101-00598.jpg Randburg-20121101-00596.jpg Randburg-20121101-00595.jpg

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
usually coffee tables and most bookshelves are a little on the small side for two piggies. It takes some work to customize it, and as long as you have a coroplast type of base in that cage cleaning should be fine :)

google 'ikea guinea pig cage' and you'll see what people have made !

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
Would this bookshelf not be tall enough?I want to lay it on it's back take out the shelves. If the back is just cardboard then I would replace it with particle board Or maybe I could just put a sheet of coroplast on instead.Then maybe a uhaul pad and fleece? I wonder if it would leak? Could I seal the corners and all around with hot glue or some other king of sealing glue? I did look through the photo gallery but my computer is slow at loading up each photo etc... But from what I did see, I didn't see anything like what I'm thinking. What is your opinion on using a bookshelf like this one and converting it? (broken link removed)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
yeah that black bookshelf is a good size for two piggies! :D the way you describe it , it would be a giant box on the floor without a top. this is a modified bookshelf.

if you have a coroplast base then no, it won't leak. But its a good idea to use something like a mattress protector (ikea has a VERY cheap one!) just so your coroplast won't get too much pee at the bottom or at all :) there's no need to seal the corners with glue.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
It would probably be ok size wise but I'd make a coroplast tray to prevent leaking and ruining of the wood. You also have to assess how sturdy it would be without the shelves. On the floor it would probably be ok though.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's 15 sq ft so would be big enough. But it's only 11 and 1/2 inches high...and a gird is 14 inches..my boy has jumped over a gird..nearly all the fully grown pigs when stand up can put their paws on the top of girds...I'd be worried that it'd be too short and they'd just jump out. :)

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
It's 15 sq ft so would be big enough. But it's only 11 and 1/2 inches high...and a gird is 14 inches..my boy has jumped over a gird..nearly all the fully grown pigs when stand up can put their paws on the top of girds...I'd be worried that it'd be too short and they'd just jump out. :)

Hhhmm didn't think about that since my piggy is just little and i haven't gotten a second one yet. He is still in the "all i want to do is hide from you" stage LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.