Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering/Spaying

LC Kiko

Cavy Slave
Recently my boyfriend and I have been thinking about getting a second pig as a companion for Duff. Nate has his heart set on a female pig. Right now we have Duff, who is an inact boar and over 4 years old.

So my question is.... if we do get another pig and it is a female, would it be better to neuter Duff or spay the female? I am quite aware that spaying is a much more invasive surgery. However, younger animals recover much more quickly than those that have had all their parts for their entire lives - and would require less pain medication and etc.

Also, how early can you spay a female pig? Is there a weight restriction for anesthesia? When I worked in various animal clinics we never saw any exotics, only cats and dogs.

bichonmom

Cavy Slave
piggies dont take well with a spay...if you must get one fixed do the boar...they could be next to each other in cages and not together..I have two boars next to each other in seperate cages....they love visiting...but my texel likes his space but loves the visits...just an idea...

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I've read that neutering a boar is preferable to spaying a sow, but I have no idea how age plays into that. Is there any particular reason you want a female companion instead of another male? Unlike a lot of other rodents, male guinea pigs usually get along okay as long as there aren't any females to compete over.

LC Kiko

Cavy Slave
I've read that neutering a boar is preferable to spaying a sow, but I have no idea how age plays into that. Is there any particular reason you want a female companion instead of another male? Unlike a lot of other rodents, male guinea pigs usually get along okay as long as there aren't any females to compete over.

Its more for a learning experience for myself. I personally want to see how a female would be in comparison as far as personalities, behavior, etc. I'm a geek and want to learn more about pigs :)

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Its more for a learning experience for myself. I personally want to see how a female would be in comparison as far as personalities, behavior, etc. I'm a geek and want to learn more about pigs :)

Nice :) Good choice; all my lady pigs are really friendly.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
We recently had Sheldon neutered and he is over 5 1/2 years old(might be 6 1/2). He didn't do well on his antibodict so he was switched to another type and is now happily living with the ladies(Butter and Diamond). None of our 4 boys really enjoyed living together and they had a massive cage. They are all neutered now and living with their respective female/s.

LC Kiko

Cavy Slave
We recently had Sheldon neutered and he is over 5 1/2 years old(might be 6 1/2). He didn't do well on his antibodict so he was switched to another type and is now happily living with the ladies(Butter and Diamond). None of our 4 boys really enjoyed living together and they had a massive cage. They are all neutered now and living with their respective female/s.

Did you notice any changes with your boar? After recovering did he not seem like himself? I'm worried about him losing his personality.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Did you notice any changes with your boar? After recovering did he not seem like himself? I'm worried about him losing his personality.
From what I've read, guinea pigs do not change behavior or personality much after neutering.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Both of my boars are neutered. Spuds was neutered at 3 years old and even though the vet had some trouble on the operating table, he recovered very well. I think he's a lot more sassy now afterwards, but it didn't change him much. I think the same with Guinness; he's really no different now than he was before, although he is a bit more mellow.

I know spaying females is a more risky than having a male neutered. Guinness' surgery probably took an hour and he was done with no complications. Spuds took a little longer, but the vet said she couldn't find them and had open longer than she wanted. He went through an antibiotics course and there weren't anymore complications after that.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
We neuter most of the males that come into our rescue unless they are a bonded pr already. It has not changed their personalities or behavior in any significant way.

Neutering is safer (though still always a risk) than spaying a female as mentioned above and you may have a hard time even finding a cavy savvy vet that would spay-they don't like to do it because of how invasive it is.

Good luck

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I didn't notice any changes until he moved in with the ladies, then he became a very happy piggy! I have noticed that all my boys perineal sacs tend to be smaller after neutering and not as dirty. Well Rogers is still the worst but he had the worst before also!

LC Kiko

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.