Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towel bedding

S

sglancy

Towel bedding

I recently switched over to towel bedding. We have 2 female pigs and a 2grid X 4grid C&C cage. What I do is put one of the Neat Sheets down first and drape the sheet over the sides of the coroplast to prevent hay,poop, etc. from getting on the bottom of the cage. Then I top with 3 towels. I also made a Coroplast litter box. They actually use the litter box quite a bit as I put it under the hay holder. I change the bedding about every 2-3 days since they are fairly good at peeing and pooping in box. It's very easy. I just fold/roll up the Neat Sheet, shake all towels and Neat Sheet outside and replace bedding with an extra set I have. Meanwhile, I wash the dirty towels so they're ready for next change.
My pigs love the towels. They never chew on them. I don't have the mess of wood shavings all over the floor either and it cuts WAY DOWN on the cost of buying pine/carefresh since I only use that for the small litter box. This may not work for everyone if your piggies chew on such things as towels. It actually only takes me about 10-15 min. to do cage change. No smell either.
Sue (Sniffles and Poopsie and assorted critters and kids)

G

Gio

did the same

I did the same thing, cuz I noticed my guinea pig only went to the bathroom in his sleeping box, so I bought a pan to put litter in and i put his sleeping house in that. He rarely goes to the bathroom outside his sleeping box, so I almost never have to change the towels on the bottom of the cage.

S

spice3

Re: did the same

how do you train a baby guine pig to use the bathroom in only one place?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.