Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Need help. Sows fighting. Maybe urgent.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
I've had my 2 sows for 13 days. Seller told me they were about 11 months old.
Poopy got used to my home faster, eat AT LEAST twice as fast as Moody.
For the first week, Moody was mostly just interested in hiding and sleeping. I was worried that she was sick or blind.
But up until about 2 days ago, Moody got active again, The fact that they are both active means a lot of getting in each other's way and they are not smart enough to get around each other. I bought a 4-foot long cage and I was going to be quite proud of it, but now it seems the American references say that is only standard for 2 piggies. I gave them 2 cave beds, 2 food bowls, a big hidey house, a tunnel, and lots of things hanging above which they have not really noticed. The thing is, they like everyone of those things. I mean, if one of them is a waste of space, I should take it out so they can get around now.

Anyways, starting about 2 days ago, they started rumbling and trying to get on top of each other a lot (wrestling!?). I thought in a lot of animals, females don't fight for dominance, but apparently guinea pigs totally do.
Long story short. Poopy won. But apparently that means she thinks she gets all the treats. About an hour ago. I was trying to give out parsley equally and Poopy just ran across to rob Moody. It didn't stop there. Afterwards Poopy had been trying to pin Moody over and over (we're talking non-stop harassingment, 2 or 3 fights per minute - I really thought that can't be right).

I was really worried that it gets dangerous so I grabbed the cave bed Poopy was in and moved her out of the cage to a run area.

As I came here to make the thread, I read that other guinea pigs do about the same thing, only maybe less aggressive.
Now even though I remove Poopy from the cage, a few minutes later Moody seems to realize that Poopy is gone and she may have freaked out - she is dashing around non-stop and I don't think she's eating or enjoying herself in anyway.

So how bad were things and how much worse have I made it?
Should I put Poopy back in the cage?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Sounds like they are just in heat. It should settle down. As long as no blood is being drawn they are fine.

How big is the cage you have them in? If it's too small that could also be part of the problem.

Jess_Marie

Cavy Slave
Yes that is perfectly normal. My clarabell does it to buffy alll of the time. We will take one out of the cage for a little while to calm the other one down and put her back in, and if you think one won't let the other get treats do the same thing take one out give treats and give the other one treats while they are in the cage. If you dont see any fur chunks missing or blood everything is perfectly normal.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Deep breath over your way. You have to have two of everything and no closed hidey huts. Just drape fleece over the corners so no one gets trapped. No blood, no separate. Girls have hormonal issues that seems to set off issues as to who is boss and different personalities play huge in this. Others will address cage size issue. They will work it out and really, really want to be with another of thier own species even though sometimes it does not appear to be so. And I would hand feed the one who is getting robbed of parsley her parsley. It is a good bonding experience. I have a herd and I have to give the little one her salad alone in my arms cause the others push her aside and she is just not quick enough to get her share. Cute.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
No close hidey huts? So hidey huts not good?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Hidey huts are good, what i think they meant was no hidey huts that only have one entrance.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
The problem with huts with only one entrance is that a pig can easily get trapped inside and if a fight breaks out they can't get away. So it's best to have two entrances of any houses you give them.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
Right, I tried putting Poopy back in the cage and she just wouldn't stop grumbling or roughing up Moody. WOULDN'T STOP (I'd have thought the experience would shake her up a tiny bit, if not taught her anything). Are you sure that is perfectly healthy?
So I took her out again (really wished I hadn't messed with this one more time). This time, they both squeaked a bit. Last time, neither did.

Well my hidey house is closed. But I already bought a platform with stairs thing. I will replace the house with this and add drapes.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Agreed. Sounds like either heat or just establishing some dominance. It will be fine as long as there is no blood!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The longer you leave one out of the cage, the more trouble you're going to have putting her back. Unless there's a full-on fight, with lots of teeth and bloodshed, let them alone. The more you interfere, the longer it will take them to work out who's boss.

Read (broken link removed) -- there's some good information on pigs in there.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If it's a store bought cage, it's probably less than 4 feet long and is probably too small for two guinea pigs. Lack of space is probably causing a lot of the problems you're having.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
I threw out all huts regardless of front and back entrance and just use fleece over corners, all four corners. Make a huge difference in the bad girls.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Mine two girls recently started doing the same thing! I was shocked when I saw them fighting so viciously! We immediately made the cage bigger and instead of hideys my husband bought some big PVC pipe home. We made two tunnels and I made little fleece cushions for each and now no one can get caught! They immediately pushed everything toward the center of the cage and proceeded to do zoomies all around the edge! My son, husband, and I watched them all evening and had so much laughing and enjoying their joy!

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
If it's a store bought cage, it's probably less than 4 feet long and is probably too small for two guinea pigs. Lack of space is probably causing a lot of the problems you're having.
I actually have stated the size of my cage.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I've literally just added another member to our herd (of two), and there was definitely a lot of concern both because the newest member was a baby and because she has special needs. I was really stressed about the interactions, but I kept telling myself they were normal. When my kids started getting upset about the "mean" behavior or the "bullying," though, I had to sit them down and talk to them. In the end, explaining herd dynamics to them helped ME feel better about all the chasing and nipping.

1. Every herd has to have a leader. The leader is often the oldest, wisest, most experienced one (not always, but often). The leader of the herd HAS to get the other herd members' attention because it is that leader's job to ensure everyone's safety and well-being. Just as a mother would grab her child's hand to prevent him/her from running into the street, so does a dominant pig need to occasionally assert his/her authority to protect the other members of the herd.

2. The leader of the herd has a lot of responsibility. My dominant pig almost never sleeps in hideys. She is very serious about her role and will sleep out in the open -- not even under the loft. This means that the submissive pigs don't have to worry about keeping safe because they know she's on the lookout. When she nips the newest pig to get her in line, it's not because she's being mean but because she wants to ensure that that little pig knows to follow her instructions in case little pig's life ever depends on it (not in captivity, probably, but they've still got their instincts).

3. There is a difference between aggression (fighting) and dominance. The two pigs in our established herd have nipped and chased baby pig. More than once. But she has her own little hidey, and they leave her alone in there. They are perfectly willing to share their food dishes, water bottle and hay rack with her. I would consider it to be more aggression than dominance if they began to actively bully her, chase her out of her space and prevent her from eating or drinking. Those still may be normal behaviors -- don't quote me on that because I am not a pro -- but they'd not be things I would necessarily be comfortable with (certainly not the latter).

4. Dominance isn't about picking on the youngest or newest member of the herd. It's about establishing boundaries and rules to ensure the safety of the entire herd. Interfering with this process (which was definitely my gut instinct because I didn't like seeing my little disabled baby being chased around) can delay or derail the entire rule-learning process.

5. Some guinea pigs want to be top dogs. Some don't. Some really don't care. But in the end, they all need to know where they stand for their own safety and well-being. They need to figure it out.

Hang in there. It really DOES get easier. Make sure you have lots of hideys, preferably with multiple exits (fleece forests, fleece tunnels, etc.) and two of everything just in case they struggle. And make sure the cage is plenty large enough. From there on, leave them be unless there is actual physical harm.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I actually have stated the size of my cage.

You gave us the length but not the width. There's a world of difference, from a pig's point of view, between a 4x1 and a 4x2 or 4x3. And the bigger, the better.

You mentioned taking things out of the cage. I'd leave them one hidey each that no pig can get trapped in, maybe one extra if it's small, the two pellet dishes, and nothing else. When things calm down, and they will, you can experiment with putting other things in there, but don't make the floor so crowded that they're having to run around stuff to get away from each other.

It sounds to me like one or the other is in heat, which means things should calm down very quickly. Unfortunately, it may all start up again in a couple of weeks or so for a couple of days.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
3. There is a difference between aggression (fighting) and dominance. The two pigs in our established herd have nipped and chased baby pig. More than once. But she has her own little hidey, and they leave her alone in there. They are perfectly willing to share their food dishes, water bottle and hay rack with her. I would consider it to be more aggression than dominance if they began to actively bully her, chase her out of her space and prevent her from eating or drinking.
Well that's the thing. ALL those things are happening. Poopy also runs and hides from me before going to rob food off Moody. Is that dominant behaviour?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.