Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties New to rats

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone

Im getting my first two rats tonight and I was just wondering if they can be housed on fleece like guinea pigs?

Thanks

WhippetQueen

Cavy Slave
Its not really recommended as rat do love to chew it up, so I would rather bedding, they also love to bury them selves in the bedding too :)

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Ok, then ill get them some soft bedding...thank you!

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
Actually, rats don't really burrow, I have my 2 rats on fleece and they love it. Fleece really is the best thing for rats, as they can be sensitive to dust in other bedding.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles has a rat(s) that are in a nice big fleece eat cage. I tagged her for you.

clb89

Cavy Slave
It depends on the rat, some rats will chew fleece to bits and some won't.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Ok, let me try the fleece and if they chew it then ill go back to bedding (I hope not though)! I looooove fleece for my piggies and hope I can do the same for my ratties.

Skfrpb

Cavy Slave
Rats make great pets! Depends on the personality, see if they chew, if not keep the fleece.
I've have quite a few rats if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles has a rat(s) that are in a nice big fleece eat cage. I tagged her for you.

Hello!!

Yes, I have the bottom level full with aspen bedding, and then wire cake rakes with coro that has fleece wrapped around them on it...Super easy cleaning!
I just hate thinking about their little feet on the wire or even on the slippery coro...I do know of someone who doesn't have any solid levels be rather lots of hammocks that the rats use to walk on instead. (Of course, as well as the solid levels I have 3-5 hammies in their cage..they all love them and my little girl Honey Boo Boo loves to hang her head out...they also LOVE peg baskets..they love to hop in them and make them swing but also the fact they feel solid.)

For hot days...having a paint tray with water in and a ball in it is something my ratties love...it keeps them cool and my Boy Boris loves playing with the ball...I also use it for their pea (and corn) fishing.

Picture of my cage.. (I've been using the fleece ever since I've got them just 3 months ago and am loving it so far)
New to rats
Cage during free-range time in my room..
New to rats
And I'm sorry...I just have too... RANDOM PICS!! :p
New to ratsNew to ratsNew to rats

ETA: If you have any specific questions feel free to ask...theres so much I could write that I've learned in just these past 3 months (nearly 4!)...I have my dove hooded (Neutered) Boy called Boris...AKA..Dork..Then my champagne Berkshire girl (who is tiny!) called Honey Boo Boo and my Black Hooded (With a white epic chin stripe and a spot on her back leg) girlie called Tinker. :)

Last edited:

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help and pics everyone. One more question though: how did you get your rats to be tame? I'm really battling as mine keep wiggling and jumping out of my hands! What am I doing wrong?

clb89

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help and pics everyone. One more question though: how did you get your rats to be tame? I'm really battling as mine keep wiggling and jumping out of my hands! What am I doing wrong?

There are a few factors with a rat being tame, first off if you just got them they may need time to warm up. May also not be their personality to be a lap rat. Males tend to be more laid back then females. Baby rats will be more hyper then older rats as well. Finally with rats I found it best to let them come to me, instead of picking them up during play time I would let them climb on me. If you do have to pick one up make sure to support the butt and back legs. I often would have the side of their body against my chest, while supporting the rest of them gently in my hand. Seemed to make them more secure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.