Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Rack - Plastic

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
Not sure where to post this thread.

Okay, so my piggies keep managing to climb onto their hay rack I made (it's an old pant leg from jeans), no matter how high or where I hang it, and pee on it.
It's getting to be a hassle to have to to change it everyday to wash it (luckily I made two).

I was wondering -- could I use a plastic milk jug? I was going to turn it upside down, cut an opening for the hay to be eated/pulled out of, and then cut off the bottom so I can add more hay. It would be hung upside down.

Something like that.

Anyway, would it be okay to use a plastic jug for this?

I'm concerned about the boys possibly chewing on and eating the plastic. 'Spose I could make it, keep an eye on them and monitor how they treat the jug. But obviously I won't see what they do it it at night.

Looking for some opinions.

Thanks!

Side note -- The reason I can't simply make a different rack out of fabric right now is that my cattle dog broke my sewing maching -- snagged the cord and ripped it right off the table. Looking at getting a new one as soon as this weekend but it could also take a month.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is there a reason that you dont use metal hay racks or wooden ones sold in pet stores? The plastic kinda scares me a little, but not a terrible amount. As long as they don't seem to be constantly chewing it. However, if you have a C&C cage or any of the grids used at all, it is very easy to bend one and use it as a hayrack. It can be suspended horizontally or vertically and I think they make very nice additions since the cages are typically grid based cages anyways.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would be worried they'd crawl inside the plastic jug. Also that the edges could be sharp and could hurt them.

You don't need a hay rack at all. You can just throw your hay down in a kitchen area, or a hay box. I line either a small cardboard box (with sides cut down) or a small kitty litter pan with newspaper and then pile the hay inside. The pigs can jump in if they want, or just munch from the sides. At the end of the day I roll up the newspaper and throw the whole thing away, and start afresh.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@bguardguy, we don't recommend bent grid hayracks unless they're mounted so that there's absolutely no way for the pig to get into it. In my years of guinea-pigging, I've read of several pigs with injured legs who got hurt trying to get into or out of a grid-style hayrack.

You could try the jug, but if yours are like mine, they'll just eat the plastic.

There are several pictures of easy-to-make coroplast hay racks in the photo galleries.

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
I tried cutting the jug and it's just to sharp for my liking.

I think I'll just go out tomorrow and buy a hay rack from petsmart.

I'm one of those gals that likes to make things, so I try to repurpose as many things as possible, lol.

Keeps the creative juices flowing.

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
If u go to the hay racks category under photos there r a lot of great alternative ideas

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
@bguardguy , we don't recommend bent grid hayracks unless they're mounted so that there's absolutely no way for the pig to get into it. In my years of guinea-pigging, I've read of several pigs with injured legs who got hurt trying to get into or out of a grid-style hayrack.

You could try the jug, but if yours are like mine, they'll just eat the plastic.

There are several pictures of easy-to-make coroplast hay racks in the photo galleries.

What do you mean by mounted @bpatters? I was considering using a bent wire grid to make a hayrack and now I am confused.
Could you elaborate?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Petsmart hay racks are too small 99% of the time.

I like the bent grid idea, something like this (broken link removed) or this (broken link removed)

millsma

Cavy Slave
I've found that my boys really like paper bags. Like, the brown lunch bags. I throw a bag or two (filled with hay), into the cage each day, and take the bags out and replace them as needed. It's an added cost... but only like $2 for 100. So if you change the bags morning and night, that will last you 50 days. Less than a dollar a month. :) And they have a blast with it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@bguardguy, mounted = fastened to the cage. The two links in post #8 point to safe grid hay racks.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Ohh okay! I got confused. I was recommending the same thing. That's what I meant by suspended. I guess I just put the wrong word. I def. meant attached when I was typing. Sorry bout it! Thanks for the clarification though, I was beginning to rethink my hay rack idea. lol

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I've found that my boys really like paper bags. Like, the brown lunch bags. I throw a bag or two (filled with hay), into the cage each day, and take the bags out and replace them as needed. It's an added cost... but only like $2 for 100. So if you change the bags morning and night, that will last you 50 days. Less than a dollar a month. :) And they have a blast with it!

I do this as well. I saw a tutorial on guinea pig toys to make on YouTube and this was one of the suggestions. My piggies love it. I stuff the bag about half full and attach it to the side of the cage with a clothespin or an old hair elastic. I cut two or three slits in the bottom of the bag, or sometimes a small hole. When I first put this up, my baby piggie would actually climb up inside it and sleep there all day...sometimes with a little foot hanging out. ❤️ I now have the hay in a loft and she hasn't tried that since I moved it. Anyway, Just like millsma said, it makes a great disposable hay rack. I usually get a couple days worth out of one, depending.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.