Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just saying hello

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm Jessica, my husband and I just rescued 2 girl piggies, Zelda and Peach. They are sweet girls and I love them already after only 4 weeks. We also have one very curious corgi (dog), Marty, who we have to keep separate from the piggies. The girls are very skittish but they love their snacks (baby green oak leaf lettuce, carrots, and grapes) and they love to run around the room we have dedicated to them (our guest room). They are currently in a pet store cage but we are working on getting them a larger set-up.
Here they are: Zelda (I call her ZZ) is the one on the left, Peach is the mostly white one on the right.
Just saying hello

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
They're very sweet! Welcome!

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
They're very cute! If you think they're amazing creatures now just wait until you get their new cage set up, their personalities will shine like never before :D Oh, and remember not to feed them too many grapes and carrots at a time. Try bell pepper, mine love it.

MandaC76

Cavy Slave
Adorable! Welcome! We love Pigtures!

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
No, they only get grape about once a week (basically when we haven't eaten them all!) and carrots a couple times a week. They haven't liked red bell pepper, but they did like parsley and sweet potato and green bean-- but only after the lettuce is gone. I only ever give them a little bit of fresh foods, they mostly eat tons of hay and some pellets. I'm too scared they will get diarrhea or bloating. They are pretty small, but only about 7 months old as far as I know, will they get bigger with age and more space?

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Mine hated bell pepper at first as well. And now they suddenly love it. Weird, huh?
You should be giving them a cup of fresh veggies a day for proper nutrition and such. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html <- That chart will let you know what they can have and how often so you can avoid bloat and diarrhea. :)
Oh yes, they'll grow as long as they are cared for properly. Mine are twice the size they were when I got them.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
They are adorable! They should still grow some, and space doesn't influence that, but of course more space is better for their overall health and happiness.

They should actually get a cup of lettuce/veggies each day. It's trial and error finding out what they like; I get various bagged lettuce mixes for my girls and supplement that with things like green pepper bit, cilantro, parsley, apple, carrot, etc. Some veggies give gas, but if you follow the chart on this site, you'll be able to avoid those and feed the healthiest veggies.

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
Is that a cup of fresh food per piggie or together?

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Per piggie. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice!

lovingmypiggies

Cavy Slave
@ Peach and Zelda, you are the first fellow Hoosier I have seen! Have you found a good source of local hay? I'm about to buy a bale from a local farm. My last one (from a different farm) was decent but has required some sorting/picking through. If you are interested, I'll let you know how it is...

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
Hello, fellow Hoosier!
My husband and I had talked about getting a guinea pig for a few months and a friend of mine runs a ferret refuge, so when she had a ferret surrendered that was living with 2 piggies, she asked me if we wanted them. So we took them in, it happened so fast, we had little time to prepare (about 36 hours). We just got a Midwest Guinea Habitat and we have a playpen area for them to run and move around in when we are home with them, they have access to it most of the day (they are confined to the cage at night or when we aren't home). We haven't looked into local farms yet, we just ordered an 8 lb bag of hay (ZuPreem Timothy Hay) from Amazon and have barely made a dent in it. But they love it, so that's good, they wheek like crazy whenever I touch or move the bag! lol
I love them so much, they have brought so much joy to us in the month that we've had them. They are still adjusting to us, they don't like to be picked up but they like to be held--so funny. Their personalities are really starting to come through. I hope they have a long and happy life with us.
Let me know who you end up getting hay from and the quality, I'd love to have some locally grown hay for the girls. I am already planning my summer veggie garden around them, but hay not so much! lol

Peach and Zelda

Cavy Slave
Oh and a question, what's a good cavy savvy vet in the Indy area? A coworker who has rabbits suggested All Wild Things up on Keystone. But looking for more info. My ferret friend recommended her vet but it's up near the pyramids and we are on the far east side.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
OMG TOO CUTE!! I loveeeeee the Nintendo names. A nice touch for me since I am way to nerdy for my own good! Adorable little babies though! Glad to see they are brightening your life!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I love the names!
They look gorgeous. I want more pigtures of these cute furbabies!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
No you have to get two more and name the sheik and daisy. K THANKS! lol

lovingmypiggies

Cavy Slave
We have used the same vet on Keystone. I haven't had any major illnesses, but I would say it was a good experience. There is also a Dr Lennox at Avian Exotic Animal Clinic at 465 and Michigan on the NW side. I believe EARP (the local exotic rescue) uses her, which is a good sign. I will continue to use Dr. Breitweiser on Keystone, but she is a one-woman operation and a single mom, so if you ever needed to take your piggies in in the middle of the night, the avian exotic clinic may be your better bet. I know the Bash Rd (in Castleton) emergency hospital has one cavy savvy vet who is there sometimes only. Hope this helps! I'll let you know how the hay turns out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.