Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Charlie's strange cataract

evilove

Cavy Slave
I took my little guy to the vet today because of a cloudy eye. I noticed it a few days ago, but couldn't really tell if it was cloudy or just the lighting. My hubby looked at it last night and said he wasn't sure, either, but it might be cloudy. I looked at it again this morning, and it was definitely more pronounced than the day before, so I called the vet. We have a wonderful cavy savvy vet and he agreed to see us right away.

The vet said Charlie has a very strange looking cataract with adhesions that are preventing his pupil from dilating. The pupil is tiny in the affected eye. He tried to measure the ocular pressure in the bad eye, but it was so low the device was only able to give one readout. However, he said it was much lower than the good eye, which means there is a lot of inflammation inside the eye. He has prescribe Atropine to dilate the pupil, and Flurbiprofen to relieve inflammation and discomfort. Both drops are to be given every twelve hours, five minutes apart from each other. We have a follow up by phone scheduled for a week from now to see how he is doing.

History: Charlie is about a year old, possibly 1.5 years. He was acquired via adoption through the animal shelter, so I'm not sure on his exact age or previous history. He is a small piggie, weighing in at only 945 grams (and has actually grown quite a bit since I got him in July). He lives with his adopted brother, Wild Thing, who likes to tussle with him, but is not aggressive. (Wild Thing had to come with us to the vet because when he is by himself he bites the bars and wheeks for his brother!)

Has anyone else heard of such a thing, these medications, experience with young pigs with cataracts? Other than the eye, he seems perfectly healthy, loves running around, loves his food, and is generally just a sweet, quiet little guy.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Cataracts are actually quite common in guinea pigs (Especially in abbys). Usually it happens with a guinea pig getting older. If your guinea pig just suddenly gets a cataract it could possibly be diabetes (I would probably get the vet to check to see if Charlie has diabetes.)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It sounds to me more like an injury from a hay poke or something similar. I'd use the drops (which I've used and should be fine) and once you can get the inflammation down, take him back in to see if the vet can get a better look at the eye to see if there might be something in there causing it. Especially if it came on suddenly, I'd think there's an exterior cause.

Hay or other injury is more likely than diabetes, particularly in a young pig. The cataracts associated with diabetes tend to be white, whereas those associated with injuries tend to be a milky blue. In my experience.

evilove

Cavy Slave
I wanted to get a picture, but knew he'd be getting messed with a lot today, so I held back. The eye was a milky blue color. The vet couldn't see anything unusual with the cornea--no scratches, no hay. He said it was definitely on the inside of the eyeball with no sign of trauma. Here's a picture of him pre-eye issues.
Charlie's strange cataract

evilove

Cavy Slave
Okay I finally got a picture of Charlie's eye today. The atropine has been working very well at keeping his pupil dilated. I think the first day his adhesion was ripping apart, because he had a line of tissue going across his eye that I hadn't seen before, but this is what it looks like today. Sorry for the slight glare on top of his eye. The cloudy/white part at the bottom of his eye now has a pink tinge to it, probably from the adhesion tearing. He hates his eye drops but is still a lovable little guy and gives me little licks while I'm messing with him. He is eating and drinking and playing, and doesn't really seem to mind his eye problem at all. @Paula, I was about to treat them with oral Ivermectin for possible mites (his brother has been itching and biting at his hind quarters) before this happened. Do you know if it is safe to give Charlie the Ivermectin along with his eye drops? Is it worth treating his brother alone and then Charlie when he is off the eye meds, or should I wait to do them both at the same time? I know I should have asked the vet while I was there, but I forgot and now he is out of town at a conference. *face palm*
Charlie's strange cataract

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oral or topical ivermectin should not be a problem with the drops. For now I would keep a close watch on the eye and see what happens throughout the course of the treatment. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.