Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How important is square size???

Kuddy831

Cavy Slave
Hey all -
I'm building my own C&C cage but I'm trying to find out how critical it is that the inner squares don't exceed 1.5 inches. I bought a 6 cube set at Target today and thought I did good because the panels are 14 inches however; when I got them home and opened the box, I measured one of the inner squares and it's closer to 1.75 inches. The guinea's we're adopting are only about 2 mos old and I've read that you shouldn't have squares any bigger than 1.50 inches. Why is this exactly? Will they squeeze through? Do I need to take these back?

Thanks folks!!!!

Kelly

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Baby pigs could probably squeeze through the grids, but a bigger problem is when they get bigger. If they are scared and charge to a corner, they can get their head stuck in the grid (I've had this happen before not with grids and its scary). If you aren't home when it happens your pig can struggle and get more stuck and cut off their airway.

pinky

Cavy Slave
The 5 and 8 space across cubes aren't safe. I'd take them back. Kmart, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond and Meijer Thrifty Acres carry the safe 9 space across ones.

Kuddy831

Cavy Slave
Ok... Thank you all for your help. I certainly don't want any harm to my piggies. I think I may keep these bigger ones and build them as a base to sit my finished cage on, this way I won't need to put them on the floor. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.