Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Vitamin B for impaction pigs?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My baby Charlie is about 6 1/2 years old now and has been having impaction problems for quite awhile now. He needs to get cleaned out at least once a day, sometimes twice. I've read on GL about supplementing pigs with bad impaction problems with Vit. B to make up for what they are not getting from not eating their caecal pellets [vitamin B-complex (25mg per day dissolved in water, applied by syringe)].

I haven't really heard it talked about much here though and GL wasn't very specific...I don't really understand how its dosed since its the complex, has many things with different amounts. There were also alot of options of different Vit B complex options, they had dif things in them, which should I look for?

I didn't realize there would be so many options and I went to the store just thinking 25mg of vit B complex and oh my there were so many options...I wasn't sure which to get I ended up getting this one, I figured it being liquid would be easy to give and measure just a small amount if needed, I want to make sure its right though, I haven't given any or opened it yet...I don't know if its the right thing, nor how much to give? Spring Valley B Complex Sublingual Liquid - Walmart.com

The other one I was thinking about getting was this Spring Valley Natural Timed Release B50 B-Complex Tablets, 60 count: Vitamins : Walmart.com Would it be better?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am not sure about this one. Have you tried offering the impacted material to your pig to eat?

Have you posted this question at Guinea Lynx?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
Yea I try that and he won't eat it. And no I haven't posted this question on Guinea Lynx yet, but I think I will. I don't think I have an account over there, I remember trying a few years back and something about my email it wouldn't let me so I just gave up, but I'm gonna try it again.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
This is the same product I used a few years ago for my impacted boys. Not sure how much good it did but it definitely didn't hurt, so you can definitely use it. I only ever had one pig who would eat his caecal poos when offered.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
This is the same product I used a few years ago for my impacted boys. Not sure how much good it did but it definitely didn't hurt, so you can definitely use it. I only ever had one pig who would eat his caecal poos when offered.
Thanks Paula! Do you remember what dose you used? Going off of the highest- 30mg pantothenic acid I'm thinking about .8mL, correct?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Yes! Though I started with .4 at first. Let me know if he likes it. Mine acted like they were insulted by it!

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
Haha thats funny, luckily he didn't seem to mind it too much, no spitting it out, funny faces, or trying to run for his life.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Yea I try that and he won't eat it. And no I haven't posted this question on Guinea Lynx yet, but I think I will. I don't think I have an account over there, I remember trying a few years back and something about my email it wouldn't let me so I just gave up, but I'm gonna try it again.
An idea would be to take the caecal and mash it up with some water and maybe food (I used Critical Care as my piggy was sick and syringe fed; you can try grinding 2-3 pellets though), and give it up by syringe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.