Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh boy. What did I do?

traceyc2001

Cavy Slave
Hi. My daughter and I got one new guinea pig. We bought the 'Super Pet My First Home' cage size 30x18x16.5. Is Zoe going to be ok in this cage? I now know about not being able to run around a lot and what not .. although we do take her out for couple hours for play time a day.
Also, would fleece be ok in this cage? Or should I just use regular bedding?
We are new at this and want to make sure Zoe is happy. I love how she is getting used to us and fun watching her doing the popcorn dance when we have play time! :)

Attachments

photo.jpg

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Hi. My daughter and I got one new guinea pig. We bought the 'Super Pet My First Home' cage size 30x18x16.5. Is Zoe going to be ok in this cage? I now know about not being able to run around a lot and what not .. although we do take her out for couple hours for play time a day.
Also, would fleece be ok in this cage? Or should I just use regular bedding?
We are new at this and want to make sure Zoe is happy. I love how she is getting used to us and fun watching her doing the popcorn dance when we have play time! :)

That's too small :( You'll notice it more as she gets older and bigger too! How old is Zoe? She looks to be about 10 weeks or so.

Also, guinea pigs are social animals and tend to be happiest in "herds" of 2 or more. You do get Guineapigs that like to live alone, but when they are that young it's almost impossible to tell if she wants to be a lonerpig or not.

7sq ft minimum for a single piggy depending on their own size - in the meantime just make sure she gets plenty of floor time.

Last edited:

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's big enough. The measurements for a 7.5 sq ft cage are 30" x 36". That's supposed to be the minimum size for one piggy. I would see if you can return it then buy supplies for a C&C cage (or order one from this site! It's where I got mine. I believe my 7.5 sq ft (2x3) cage was around 75.00 with shipping.) It was really easy to put together, too. :)

traceyc2001

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thank you. Also, having just 1 cavy ok? I see a lot of people have multiple. Is she fine if I dont get another?

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's big enough. The measurements for a 7.5 sq ft cage are 30" x 36". That's supposed to be the minimum size for one piggy. I would see if you can return it then buy supplies for a C&C cage (or order one from this site! It's where I got mine. I believe my 7.5 sq ft (2x3) cage was around 75.00 with shipping.) It was really easy to put together, too. :)

12 inches in a foot, so it'll be 24in x 48in roughly.

Ok. Thank you. Also, having just 1 cavy ok? I see a lot of people have multiple. Is she fine if I dont get another?

Read up to my comment, i added some extra info in there :) (It's also impossible to tell if she wants to be alone, if she's never really been housed with other pigs) Where did you get her?

traceyc2001

Cavy Slave
Petco is where I got her.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Very few pigs won't accept a friend. Being alone won't kill her but she won't be nearly as happy as she would be with a proper size cage and a friend to share it with.

I also encourage you to adopt rather then buy your next pig. This site is very anti pet store for a number of reasons.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Petco is where I got her.

Alright, she looks very pretty! The store was very irresponsible to have sold you a single pig though, they should know the rules :(
All petstores are, just supermarkets. No experts and no genuine "We do it for the animals!" - They sell animals like this as commodities, moneymakers.

Sad isn't it? Not your fault they are so deceptive.

-snip- This site is very anti pet store for a number of reasons.

Touche.

@traceyc2001 as soon as you can - find a suitable space in your house where you can put a ~2ftx4ft cage , that's totally important....❤️

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Also one thing you will really want to take care of if you do decide to get another pig is to have a vet or someone who knows guinea pigs well check the gender. Pet stores a well known for selling guinea pigs only for their owners to find out they got a different gender then they were expecting. So before adding any more pigs make sure she is really a she.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Also one thing you will really want to take care of if you do decide to get another pig is to have a vet or someone who knows guinea pigs well check the gender. Pet stores a well known for selling guinea pigs only for their owners to find out they got a different gender then they were expecting. So before adding any more pigs make sure she is really a she.

Yeah or letting me adopt a guinea pig from them, without telling me she was pregnant :yuck:

Whether they knew or not, that's besides the point - still carelessness.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'd also like to add, when you get the right sized cage you can return the pet store cage even if it is used. Just bring your receipt.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Like the others said ~ this forum is very anti-petshop/breeding and pro adoption/rescue.
Have you found a good exotic vet to take Zoe to? Normal vets often do not know anything about guinea pigs as they are classified under exotics.

Pet shops are known for mis-sexing or selling sick or pregnant pigs (even though she is young she could be preg if she was housed with males)
She really needs a friend, with piggies that young I sometimes skip quarantine as they need to be around other pigs. They are highly social animals, I wouldn't not get her a buddy because she could be a lone pig, It's just not fair.

I'd get her a bigger cage, that cage may be an okay size for her now but shes going to grow and will need a bigger cage.

ETA: I probably did this wrong..(I'm not good with square feet) but the Super Pet My First Home is only 3.75 square feet and the minimum for one piggy is 7 square feet but the recommend is 7.5 square feet.

Last edited:

traceyc2001

Cavy Slave
The thing about returning the cage though, it came w/water bottle, food, bedding..etc. So not sure I can return it now. But, good to have around in case I need it for traveling or something.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
ETA: I probably did this wrong..(I'm not good with square feet) but the Super Pet My First Home is only 3.75 square feet and the minimum for one piggy is 7 square feet but the recommend is 7.5 square feet.

I'd scrap the ".5" - 6 square inches really isn't anything at all (About half the size of a DVD disc)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
The thing about returning the cage though, it came w/water bottle, food, bedding..etc. So not sure I can return it now. But, good to have around in case I need it for traveling or something.

I would just call them and ask if it would be okay. Also, what kind of bedding and food did it come with?

traceyc2001

Cavy Slave
this is the kit. See the guinea pig on there and everything. Includes: This complete kit surrounds your guinea pig with all the comforts of home. Roomy chew-proof wire cage with easy to clean deep plastic base that helps keep your pet's bedding in the cage, not scattered onto your floor, food dish,2.5 lbs. bag Kaytee Fiesta Guinea Pig food, Kaytee Soft-Sorbent small animal bedding, Large Kabob chew treat, Kaytee YoDips treas and water bottle. Simple snap-together set-up requires no tools.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
this is the kit. See the guinea pig on there and everything. Includes: This complete kit surrounds your guinea pig with all the comforts of home. Roomy chew-proof wire cage with easy to clean deep plastic base that helps keep your pet's bedding in the cage, not scattered onto your floor, food dish,2.5 lbs. bag Kaytee Fiesta Guinea Pig food, Kaytee Soft-Sorbent small animal bedding, Large Kabob chew treat, Kaytee YoDips treas and water bottle. Simple snap-together set-up requires no tools.

I've heard that Kaytee isn't a very nutritious food to feed piggies. What's in the kebab chew treat? And YoDips? Like yogurt treats? If they're yogurt treats don't feed them to your piggy.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Throw out or refund the YoDips things. Not harmful, but coated with crap your pig doesn't need - junk food (like Sugar and hydrogenated oils)
Pigs arn't meant to eat dairy as they don't have the stomach for it. But, if you've already fed her some don't worry - it won't hurt her in the short term.
Guineapig food will be fine, as long as you are giving her a cup of veg a day as well and plenty of hay.

Petco pulled your pants down OP :(

I've heard that Kaytee isn't a very nutritious food to feed piggies. What's in the kebab chew treat? And YoDips? Like yogurt treats? If they're yogurt treats don't feed them to your piggy.

It's just made out of wood.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay so some big red flags there. The food is utter crap, and the fiesta version has seeds and other bad things in it. So very unheathy for piggies. You need to toss it and get pellet only food if they won't let you return it. It's no safe for them, the seeds and other little crap can make them very ill. The same goes for the yogurt treats. Guinea pigs can't eat dairy so those are totally out. Again if they won't let you return it just toss them out. Don't feed her anymore.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Welcome! This is a great place to learn about guinea pig care.
Don't feel bad about not knowing any better about the cage, now you know you need bigger so you can correct it. You're doing better than a lot of people.
If you can't return the cage, just keep it for transporting the pigs if necessary.

If you decide to get another pig (we all hope you will :) ) check your area for guinea pig or small animal rescues. Even rabbit rescues often have guinea pigs. If you need help finding one, just post your town or zip code and people here will be happy to direct you to local resources.

You'll also be encouraged to get quality food. Oxbow Guinea pig food is highly recommended and can be ordered on-line or sometimes at local stores.
Check out this chart for veggies you can feed your piggie:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730
And you need unlimited hay as well.

Good luck! Your daughter is adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.