Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hopefully I like it here on this forum

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
Im joining this after getting my commenting turned off of a fb guinea pig group over saying I freeze my guinea pigs hay a couple hours before drying putting it in a open big bin because Im paranoid of mites on a post about hay, I never told anyone they have to or should, ether that or it was commenting on post too often I guess I got annoying, I was only looking for advice and commenting on post about guinea pigs being dumped because I saved two and couldn't keep them and had to take them to the shelter so I like to see ppl who can , I guess I'm not aloud to talk when everyone else can, every time I'm in one of them they limit something then I lose interest and just take care of my animals without ppl breathing down my back about everything I say. :sad:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You won't be banned on here for posting about freezing hay, but freezing it won't help you with mites. Every living thing on Earth, including you and me, is covered in mites all the time. Occasionally, for whatever reason, they get out of control and you get an outbreak. They're easily treated if you start early, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
What I worry about Is the treatment, I think ill get this spray on Etsy that is natural in case I ever need it.
the reason Im paranoid of mites is because the two guinea pigs I saved from a bad situation (being left behind) and , had to go to the shelter and surrender them, had mites I suspect because they looked pretty itchy, I just wanted them to get vet treatment and get adopted, because the week I brought them home buying a huge cage and taking them to the vet wasn't an option. I've moved my guinea pig from the living room to my room and cleaned up the stuff from the two, and im afraid to put him in the living room again and every time he itches himself im like oh god no.

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
Tbh IDEK how those ones I saved had mites they were in a wire bottom cage with no bedding or hay and I thought they got them from bedding and hay, they must of came from the lady's house they were her sister in law's she never came back for when she got a place. and the lady said she had 3 kids and other pets and fish , maybe they got them from reptiles there?? Ether way god bless them I miss those babies I hope i see them on the shelters page they have a no disclosure policy and the small animal shelters one was full and one didn't wanna take them and told me to call my state shelter.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
No they didn't get them from the lady's house, or any other pet. Mites are almost always species specific and all animals have a small number of them on them at all times, you can't get rid of them all nor should you as small numbers are healthy and normal. However when an animal gets stressed or their immune system is otherwise compromised the numbers of mites can explode out of control as the immune system isn't keeping them in check. That is what causes an outbreak.

Reptiles wouldn't have guinea pig specific mites on them, hay won't either as there would never have been guinea pigs running through the fields.

Good news is treating mites and lice at home is easy and cheap. I wouldn't go for any natural remedy's as guinea pigs have very sensitive digestive systems and treatments of any kind that have not been studied and 100% proven to be safe, or at least the side effects are somewhat manageable, can cause fatal consequences even if the same treatments would be perfectly safe in most other animals. The ideal way to treat a guinea pig at home for lice or mites is with Ivermectin, now the catch is Ivermectin over the counter comes in several different strengths. This thread is a good read for more information https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
DDD6D88A FC40 4620 B517 B26A25DCFE73

this is the spray I'm referring too I trust myself much more with this than dosing ivermectin it looks safe and has good reviews and the person makes other holistic pet products

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
The only place to get ivermectin close to me is tractor supply for huge animals the paste kind and thats too much.

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
As for the immune system thing yes the days, I keep those pigs I fed them good and let them have orange and spinach carrots and hay before I had to bring them to the shelter, the were sneezing and one was in worse condition than the other, so that makes sense. and I will continue to take good care of my current piggy so his immune system wont be ever be compromised like that. A0A2918B A08A 4381 AD1B F2DFDA4B0C4C 1FF621E5 D9F6 4815 850C C693864C5FD4 F8EFFB5F CD49 42F8 BD87 BEACD8CDDB2C 788DC600 5DDF 4F2D AE7E 2DFF446D1761 788DC600 5DDF 4F2D AE7E 2DFF446D1761 These are the babies while I sill had them the one with the long hair was in worse condition.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't find that spray anywhere on the internet. Can you post a picture of the ingredients?

In general, I'm not a fan of sprays on small animals that groom themselves. You have no idea how much of the stuff they're ingesting, or what effect it will have on the digestive system. And since GP intestines are pretty delicate, it's always worth avoiding the possibility of serious, expensive problems.

Edited by bpatters: I found it. No ingredients are listed. I wouldn't use it without knowing what's in it.

Ivermectin, in both .1% and .05% strengths, is easily available from Amazon, and is easily dosed without the possibility of overdosing. It completely avoids the digestive tract, and is very effective against mites.

Last edited:

Piggyowner308

Cavy Gazer
:eek:hmy::confused:so I tried to find it on amazon it was hard I had to use google, says currently unavailable and, :crazy:theres something going on on the news where people are taking ivermectin attempting to treat or prevent covid??!! I cant believe it. so I might have to wait till that hype dies down to even be able to stock up on any… do you know the shelf life of it how long you can keep it around?:yuck: