Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Syringe-feeding help!? What am I doing?

EllieKRitter

Cavy Slave
So a little over three weeks ago, Cookie and Calypso both gave birth to babies. Neither were having problems or showing any abnormal behavior. Happy story (baby boys will be rearranged from their mother in a matter of days, I know my GP-sex Ed)

two days ago, I got cookie out for lap time and she had a cut in her upper lip - not how they get from fighting - this one was finer. So I set her down and check her out and her mouth is full of dried blood and there's a crack in her upper left tooth. The whole way across. I did some short-second research and was reassured that she could sip from the bottle and shovel in hay to her molars with just one tooth. By that night it was hanging by a thread and she was getting frustrated with all of calypso's munchkins, so I moved she and her daughter into our extra cage.

Yesterday morning I check on her and both top teeth are gone. Broken off at the roots. We've been syringe feeding her anything she'll take to. She will now lick puréed cooked carrots off of a baby spoon and occasionally out of a small bowl. We've also tried spooning her crushed wet oxbow pellets as much as she'll take.

so please, tell me what I'm doing wrong, what I need to be doing, what i need to stop doing, (what im doing right,) etc, because I have the knowledge base of a 14 year old and I can't do this without help. And neither can she.

Weigh her daily to see if she's getting enough food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.