Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Question!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
So I have been epically failing at this whole C&C cage thing. My mom is getting annoyed with it, I'm getting annoyed with it, and quite frankly, I think my girls are too. Their cage is in my bedroom to and I try to be in my bedroom as much as possible so they get more socialized but the living room is a prime spot for them. I figured that if my grandpa and I can make the same, if not larger, dimensions of one of these cages and place it in the living room, my guinea pigs will have the prime living conditions. I would be putting a shower curtain on the bottom of the cages. It's just an idea I was throwing around and I wanted to see if it was a good idea or not. I already brought the idea up to my mom and she said, quote "What ever gets that cage out of you room and the guinea pigs are happy." So…that is a pretty good sign of a new cage. We don't have the money to buy them so I was thinking that going down the creating rode would be the best option here. Or I would stash ll my money until Black Friday and get it while its on sale. Thanks for reading this far! :)

Cage One: Trixie Natura Two Story Hatched Gable Rabbit Hutch with Run at PETCO

Cage Two: Trixie Natura Painted Rabbit Hutch with Outdoor Run at PETCO

lissie

Cavy Slave
I don't understand how you failed with the C&C? If you're going to use shower curtain in those cages you've posted, you could use shower curtain in your C&C too. If your grandpa is handy and could make a wooden hutch like that, he should be able to help you build a C&C cage.

If you'd like to use wood, take a look at this gallery.
Alternative Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

The hutches you've posted look hard to clean. The ramps seem too steep.

Since you already have grids, you could ask your grandpa to build something like this.
Question!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Those two cages are MUCH more expensive than it would be to build a C&C cage. What exactly is the difficulty you are having with it? Maybe we can help.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
You're not alone! I dislike C&C cages (although I do find them sturdy and easy to put together), and all of my pigs are now in wood, polypropylene and acrylic cages. I made a 5-sided wooden 'box' with plywood, lined it with polypropylene, and added a large, slide-out acrylic window at the front. There's no top so ventilation isn't a problem, it's super easy to clean, extremely sturdy (I can lean on the sides and sit in the second floor without it moving a cm), hygienic and it doesn't look invasive in the room. It looks more like a piece of furniture which conveniently holds guinea pigs. ;)

I'm not sure what they're like over the pond, but I personally find that store-bought hutches here are poor quality and badly put together with nails and staples etc. They also tend to get messy due to the amount of fixtures and unnecessary details on them. I very much recommend homemade.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I agree, why bother building something like that when a c&c is easy peasy! What's the difficulty with having a c&c? Maybe we can suggest ways to make it easier.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
I honestly think it's easier to make a C&C with a shower curtain than build a hut. :)

Don't you already have a 3x2 C&C? If you have that, and you want it to be multi-level, you can add another 3x2 level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.