Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Unexpected Happenings have lead to Boris

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I was at Animates yesterday, went in for hay for my guinea pigs and oxygen weed for my little brothers cold water goldfish; came out with Boris, a new wheel and a rat cage for free for a week so I can find him a bigger one.

Boris was taken into the back room to be treated for mites and no one had touched him for 6 weeks, he had then gotten very territorial and was biting the employs if they tried to pick him up or go near 'his house'. An employ who use to have rats then took him in for a week and a bit, she had tamed him down a bit. But by that time he was rather big, so it's been a couple of weeks and no one has shown interest in him and everyone just want small babies even though he is only 4 months old. The lady asked us if we could take him as she wants to know hes going to a good home and that she'll get able to see him every now and then; we think the cage that they sell for rats (I think it's the PetOne) is way to small for a rat so she gave us the cage she kept him in for a week to give us some time to find a good sized cage.
She told me he loves Scratches behind his ear!

I've joined an NZ rat forum so hope to get all the help there!

I never planned to own a rat this year (was waiting till my 15 lovely female mice to all pass, as their cage was home made built for rats) but if it's meant to be then it's meant to be. He's not the co lour I would of chosen but that all doesn't matter, he was in a need of a good home.

Would anyone like pictures?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Sure, post some pictures!

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Would love to see pictures of your entire crew!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Would love to see pictures of your entire crew!

Haha, that would be a few pictures!

I have two old male cats - Jessie and Barney
Two Young male kittens that were feral and strays - Panther and Leo
1 female Rabbit - Penny (She is rather territorial)
15 Female mice (Only some of them have names as some swap names!) - Panda, Jubjube, Jazz, Aotearoa, badger, Hazel, Olive, Whiskers, Mini Maxine, Duffy, Chile and Bubba.
I have a Tropical fish tank and my little brother has a goldfish tank.

I then have my guinea pigs - Rex, Bubbles, Ron, Trixie, Gigi and Pluto.
Then I care and re-home surrendered guinea pigs right now I just have Sally but she is being adopted next week; Khemmy and Diablo will be dropped off this weekend.

and now Boris.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I'd love to see photos! Bless you for bringing the poor little fella home

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
My camera isn't charged so I took some pictures with my mums phone but Its only sent me one of them so far...
-2.jpg-4.jpg-3.jpg-5.jpg

Last edited:

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Got another picture:
-6.jpg

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
He's very cute! I like his color a lot. :)

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Wow, thats an absolutely stunning rattie. He looks the sit on shoulder type :) Gorgeous colouring ;)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Wow, thats an absolutely stunning rattie. He looks the sit on shoulder type :) Gorgeous colouring ;)

Should type? No way! He does not sit still while I'm holding him when I'm walking! :)

Last edited:

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
He is a dove hood; I'm getting him neutered next week so then sometime at the end of this year or very beginning of next year I can adopt at least one female from the NZ Rat Rescue.

I was lying down on my back on my bed and had him on my stomach but he walked down to my armpit and snuggle up; every now and then He'd lift his head up and lean it on my shoulder and just kinda look at me really relaxed.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
LOl! Ok.... I guess his face just looks like the type you'de see poking from the top of someones hoodie :)
Anyway, good luck with him, and hopefully you find him a nice girl friend!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Okay...so I feel I have to show off Boris's new cage! *It is meant for 7 - 12 rats!*
I sewed the level covers which are actually cake trays as the cage is a bird cage so it didn't come with levels, sewed the hammocks, sewed the fleece ramps and made the coroplast bottom.
He's getting neutered on Friday morning, mum has agreed that when the NZ Rat Rescue has any girls that we'll adopt them.
-4.jpg
Hehe, my cheeky monkey!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Thank you @Kelsie

I was/am totally confused with what rats like/can play with/on and how in the world to set up the cage! >.<
What are the top 3 things your girls love? I'm a total newbie with Rats!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I love the cage! Hes cute!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Here is a close up picture
20121118_162630.jpg

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Umm i have a very important question! Can I live in that cage? HAHAHAHA That thing is HUGE! That's like the size of my house, and my house is big! :O

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
So yesterday Boris had the big OP to get neutered. The vet has given me some medicine to feed him twice a day and he has a check up appointment in two weeks.

I had spent the whole day worrying that something might go wrong (stupid me had given my self a headache!) after reading post about rats passing away on the operating table. He had rather good chances of nothing going wrong as the vet I took him to was recommend by the rat owners on the NZ Rat forum.

Hes doing fine, being a cheeky little brat!

Snowy and Chyna will be joining him in 3 weeks; Snowy is a 11 month old Champagne Berkshire who is being removed from a breeders breeding program and Chyna is a 6 month old Black Hooded girl from a foster group.

I was only going to adopt Chyna but they told me that Snowy and Chyna are rather a close pair and they didn't really want to separate them so I'm adopting both of them, they're free to a good home as their current owner cannot care for them and wants them to be somewhere they will get proper attention.

I can't wait till Boris can have buddies! I'm just hoping that he'll accept them easily...*Crosses fingers*

Lyndsy

Cavy Slave
What a GREAT set up! WOW!
Boris is one lucky man, and soon to be a ladies man! Good on you for taking him in, buying the cage, and adopting some friends!
I've got quite a few rats myself, being a home based rescue. All I ever use is the FErret Nation cages.
I use fleece as their bedding as well.
Boris should take to the females right away, but if not, just go slow with intros!
Good luck, and I cna't wait to see pics of the wee girls!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I wish I could get a ferret nation but you can't them in NZ or if you do It cost way too much money to have them shipped in. :sad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.