Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Vitamin C - Help?

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Hi there. So my girls (I have two, one is a year and a half and one is about a year old) haven't been feeling so well. We have been on antibiotics for about 4 weeks (two different types) and in touch with my wonderful vet weekly.

They are fine except for sneezing, sniffling and sometimes (though not lately) coughing. They are eating, peeing, pooping, playing, wheeking, popcorning, loving their floor time and snuggling just like normal. They do not have yucky eyes or noses. I think they may have allergies as well. We have been experimenting with different things in their pen to help with the allergies. Hay seems to bother both of them - there are times when they will be perfectly fine, then go root around in the hay and both start sneezing up a storm - although this isn't the only time they are sneezing. They are in a warm (but not too warm) area and have a heater under their blanket in one area which my oldest seems to sleep on the most.

Ok all that leeds up to my biggest question - it was highly recommended that I increase vitamin C. They get it in their veggies but I also think maybe not enough. So I have the Oxbow tablets. They will NOT eat them - they look at me like I'm crazy and go into another area of their pen - eyeing me like I'm trying to poison them, silly girls.

Since Saturday they have had three doses each - one per day, per piglet. I have crushed them with my mortar and pastel and put it in a tad bit of water, placing it in their syringe and feeding them each one tablet that way. In three doses I have noticed a considerable difference in how much they seem to sneeze and sniffle. This morning I spent about three hours with them before I went to work - I didn't hear one sneeze or sniffle...

Is it possible the vitamin C is making that much of a difference? they only have enough antibiotics remaining for today and tomorrow morning - do you think I need to get an appointment for the vet or do you think trying them with the vitamin C for another couple of days would be ok - since they aren't really showing ANY signs of illness except for sneezing and sniffling...

I don't want to make the wrong decisions, or "assume" they are ok - and be wrong. It is VERY cold and windy here today, so I'm a little leery of taking them out in the weather we have been having, even in their carrier.

Any help you can give me would be highly appreciated. I know you are not a vet and will take advice as just that - advice. But since I'm fairly new at this - I'd love some advice from some "experts". I have had Dais for almost all of her 1 1/2 years - Patch I have had almost her entire year - however, they are my first babies. and up until now, they have never been sick. However, I should mention - Dais especially has always sneezed some since I have had her, Patch does a little bit, but not as much.

I love them with all my heart. If I'm not snuggling them, I have them on the floor so they can play. (unless I'm at work). But if I'm home - they have almost all of my undivided attention (much to my hubbies dismay).

I'm just unsure about the vitamin C. It is ok that I crush it and put it in a bit of water and syringe feed it, isn't it? I looked online and saw other sites saying that was ok.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for any help you can send my way! My girls and I thank you (so does hubby, even if he "misses" me).

Blessed be

Attachments

both piglets.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would think that it's more likely the antibiotics and not the C. However, I think it's a good idea to continue with the C, since they have both been sick. Syringing it is a good method, you can also sprinkle it on a piece of wet lettuce or an apple slice. You can also use different types of C--I buy children's chewable 100 mg tablets and quarter them. The pigs like the taste so they usually just take them from my hand.

What's your hay like? Not all hays are equal--some are just more "dusty", with really small pieces that get in little pig noses.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
I would think that it's more likely the antibiotics and not the C. However, I think it's a good idea to continue with the C, since they have both been sick. Syringing it is a good method, you can also sprinkle it on a piece of wet lettuce or an apple slice. You can also use different types of C--I buy children's chewable 100 mg tablets and quarter them. The pigs like the taste so they usually just take them from my hand.

What's your hay like? Not all hays are equal--some are just more "dusty", with really small pieces that get in little pig noses.

The last batch of hay was beautiful - long, not broken pieces. I use Timothy Hay. But this last batch - it doesn't seem to be as nice. It is a tiny bit dusty.

I keep their hay in a hanging bag, they enjoy digging for it, it's like a game. I did notice the bottom got full of dust, so I started cleaning it out every two or three days. Maybe I need something different for their hay?

I tried it over food, yah... not fooling them, they knew what it was and were not going to have anything to do with that. They are rather picky children.

I tried to find liquid vitamin C children's - we went to like three stores here and couldn't find anything.

I just want them to be ok, to be healthy. I worry about them so much. They are my babies..

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Maybe put the hay on the ground? Although then they'd probably burrow into it.

I notice with my mangers that when my pigs eat underneath it some bits of hay and hay dust fall on top of their heads. Is this what's happening, perhaps?

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
My girls, my girls!!!! I took them to the vet last night. She was SO thorough. She took X-Rays - their lungs are totally clear - they look fine, sound fine. Just allergies. No worries. I am going to still work on their allergy issues but... oh what a relief that they are ok. I have been SO worried!!!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Great news! What if you switched to another kind of hay? I find timothy to be dusty so I use orchard. I've heard bluegrass is lovely!

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I would love to. I'm struggling in my area to find other types, I have found three and they are all the same. AND my girls are so picky I'm afraid to order too much online and them not to eat it.- but I could always donate it to a rescue if that happens. As it is I spent around $300 on vet bills and meds in the last month... but I love them so much I would do it all over again!

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
PS the vet asked if my girls were always so calm and sweet. Then Patches had her exam and I have never heard a piglet scream SO loudly!! Too cute! And she mentioned that she has never seen a piglet as large as Daisy - she's not fat just a REALLY big piggy! My baby girls....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.