Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Towels or Uhaul pads?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have been wanting to sew some cage liners for quite some time and I got to wondering if towels or Uhaul pads are better smell-wise. I use towels as of right now and the day before I wash the fleece and towels they usually start smelling a little funky.

What do you fleece-users have under your fleece? What's your opinion on it? I'd like to hear what you all think is best.

Thanks!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I love Uhaul pads. However, the more you wash and dry them the thinner they get. I think if you don't dry them in the dryer they may last longer.

I do still use towels under my cage blankets, though. That way I can go longer between changes.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
I hear great things about u-haul pads, but I personally don't use them. I use several layers of terry-cloth (towel fabric) that I bought at Joann when I bought the fleece.

We don't really have a smell issue. Sometimes, when the boys are cranky, they stink more than usual, but beyond that, I just switch the fleece out every 5-7 days or so and the smell stays minimal. I'm happy enough with it to not see the need to switch to u-haul pads unless something comes up.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I have always used towels and I haven't had a problem :)

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
I'm a uhaul pad fan.. I've used towels before and just didn't like how they laid down.. Not smooth enough for me..

pinky

Cavy Slave
Uhaul pads are really lightweight and much easier on your washer and dryer. I think they're more absorbent.

jdallas2

Cavy Slave
I have a little boy and girl pig and I have some problems with the uhaul liners. I feel like I read all these posts about how great they are and I'm not as thrilled as I had hoped I would be. They smell starting at 2 or 3 days even though I put baking soda down under the fleece on their 'main' areas and spot clean every day. They are definitely better than towels but I was hoping they'd be a little better than they are. I'm open for suggestions if people have other ideas that coud help!!! I do NOT want to go back to chips. They do thin out as you wash them. I'm also not sure I would sew them together like some people suggest... I'd be worried they wouldn't get clean enough in all the layers. Just my opinion. :)

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
I usually use puppy pads, then towels (I use bath sheets without the decoration on, so they always stay flat and smooth under the fleece), then a single sheet of fleece. Works well for me. I am currently experimenting with framed liners. So far, so good. The backing is towel, the top is fleece, and there's a frame between the two to keep it smooth, sturdy for vacuuming, and it stops piggies tunnelling underneath it all. The puppy pads rarely need changing. My guys have a litter box/kitchen area with card bedding in which helps keep it clean and smelling fresh, and they naturally pee/poop in that over the fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.