Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs We regularly see a vet, and boyfriend thinks I'm overboard... Thoughts?

cordovapdb

Cavy Slave
I had a precious guinea pig break her leg, vet surgically removed the leg due to the location of the fracture. She did really really well and passed away 10 days after the surgery. (A little over $500 in the hole).
I rescued a 4 month old guinea pig- abandoned twice, had behavioral issues, had trouble adjusting, came home pregnant (didn't know this until this past week).
I had a 6 year old rabbit, who I've had since I was 16, he ended up with GI stasis. I had him put down for $160 (including cremation).
I have his mate, 6 year old rabbit, who is perfect, just has mild arthritis. She's my precious pride and joy and I could not imagine living life without her. I bought her some arthritis meds through the vet for $38.
I've paid for office visits ($45) at least 4 times since July. I try to make the most of it asking every question in the book (even if it's about the other animal who isn't there).
So basically, I've spent TONS of money on these animals. My regular bills get paid, but I can't afford Starbucks, trips to the movies, monthly clothes/ shoe shopping. My "boyfriend" says that vets see me and they see dollar signs. He was a real jerk when I told him my girl has mild arthritis and he laughed and said I'm falling in the vet's trap. I do speak with the vet at least once a week (she has open questions on Facebook and we chat back and forth about behavior, health, about the pregnant guinea pig, she calls to check up on my kiddos, etc). My boyfriend thinks I speak too much with the vet. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

grsellitti

Cavy Slave
I think you should do what makes you happy! You're obviously a very kind hearted person to have spent so much time and money on animals but maybe you can start putting a "me" fund on the side. Five bucks a week and by the end of 2 months you'll have around 40 dollars for say a new pair of shoes. Just a suggestion. :p

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I had a precious guinea pig break her leg, vet surgically removed the leg due to the location of the fracture. She did really really well and passed away 10 days after the surgery. (A little over $500 in the hole).
I rescued a 4 month old guinea pig- abandoned twice, had behavioral issues, had trouble adjusting, came home pregnant (didn't know this until this past week).
I had a 6 year old rabbit, who I've had since I was 16, he ended up with GI stasis. I had him put down for $160 (including cremation).
I have his mate, 6 year old rabbit, who is perfect, just has mild (broken link removed). She's my precious pride and joy and I could not imagine living life without her. I bought her some arthritis meds through the vet for $38.
I've paid for office visits ($45) at least 4 times since July. I try to make the most of it asking every question in the book (even if it's about the other animal who isn't there).
So basically, I've spent TONS of money on these animals. My regular bills get paid, but I can't afford Starbucks, trips to the movies, monthly clothes/ shoe shopping. My "boyfriend" says that vets see me and they see dollar signs. He was a real jerk when I told him my girl has mild arthritis and he laughed and said I'm falling in the vet's trap. I do speak with the vet at least once a week (she has open questions on Facebook and we chat back and forth about behavior, health, about the pregnant guinea pig, she calls to check up on my kiddos, etc). My boyfriend thinks I speak too much with the vet. What do you think?

Sounds like you are being a responsible pet owner to me. I think it's great that you have such great communication with your vet! While I do think some vets are out for money, the fact that your vet is willing to discuss things without requiring an office visit shows that she is not one of them. My fiance thought I was ridiculous for building my girls a bigger cage and using fleece bedding but he sees that they are happier and healthier now and lets me do as I see fit. If your boyfriend doesn't understand why you are concerned or why you take such great care of your animals, maybe he isn't worth the time. Not trying to be rude, just honest.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I think you should do what makes you happy! You're obviously a very kind hearted person to have spent so much time and money on animals but maybe you can start putting a "me" fund on the side. Five bucks a week and by the end of 2 months you'll have around 40 dollars for say a new pair of shoes. Just a suggestion. :p

I agree with this too :) Me and my fiance are struggling financially but we are setting aside money each week to take a short weekend vacation next month. The vacation is my "shopping" money lol Nothing wrong with spoiling yourself every once in awhile.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I think it's AWESOME that you have such a caring vet who is available like that personally! I really like mine but they aren't available as much as yours although they do check ups (I actually got 3 calls about my Marshmallow's URI to make sure he was doing okay).

There will always be people on both ends of the spectrum and of course those in the middle; the ones who NEVER take their pets in and let nature take it's course, the ones who ALWAYS take their pets in over every sneeze and the ones who are in the middle. Just like parents, it takes all types of people. Good for you for caring so much and to me personally, I would easily give up Starbucks to make sure my little one was taken care of, children and pets. You took on the responsibility of taking in these animals and you should take care of them including all care and vet bills. Some people just don't see it that way and unfortunately you may never change their mind. When I had my kids, I knew full well that my days of buying $500 shoes and $1000 purses were over. Now my kids shoes cost more then mine and I'm okay with that. It's what I accepted when I became a parent and it makes me happy to know that I can provide for them. Some people I know with kids are the opposite, they are just not willing to sacrifice their luxuries and that's okay, just how they are. As long as your responsibilities are covered, I don't see how it's anybodies business (outside of a husband/wife of course) what you spend play money on as it's just that. But then again, I have a problem with people telling me what I can and can't spend money on. I'll easily give up buying something fun at Walmart as well to buy some new fleece or toy for the pigs. I don't really see a problem with this but some may. Some people get more attached to their pets then others also, it's just the way of the world.

A "me" fund would be great, or even the reverse, maybe setting up a Vet fund of say $1000 so that you will have emergency money in case something comes up but then feel free to spend the rest of your play money on what you like.

If it makes you feel any better, my boys are $50 each just for the appointment to take to the vet and they've been in 4 or 5 times now in the past 2 months. Each time it's been over $100 before I left, for their medication.

pinky

Cavy Slave
One of mine recently had an abscess. I took her for a vet appointment to diagnose it and treat it. I took her back twice for rechecks, just to be sure it was healing properly. When another one had what appeared to be a prolapsed lid, I took her to the vet to be treated. I was worried enough about her that I took her to my other vet for a second opinion. I err on the side of caution when it involves their health and it sounds like you do, too. Nothing wrong with that. It has to do with what your priorities are.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think you are a great piggie and rabbit owner. Someone who loves her animals. I think it is awesome you have such a great relationship with your vet. I agree with the others. If she didnt care or was just in it for the money, she would not share with you. Unforunately vet bill can be costly. I agree with the other too, if it is possible set aside 2 funds, putting in a little each, each payday, for the vet and a me fund.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I think Im probably worse than you. Years ago I spent about $10K in three months trying to figure out what was wrong with one of my dogs. I could not just put him down without knowing that whatever he had was not something that could be fixed. Unfortunately, he ended up having pancreatic cancer and had to be put down anyway. But without knowing what was causing the symptoms, I could not just give up on him. My daughter had a $20 hamster who got sick and while most people would have considered it a "throw away pet", I spent $420 in emergency vet bills to get him healthy again. Just recently, my dear ferret got an adrenal tumor (fairly common in ferrets). I spent about$600 on her surgery. Unfortunately, she had complications and did not live long after surgery. Some would say I wasted my money. That is not how I feel.

Bottom line is, my pets are like my children (sometimes I even like them better :D). Therefore, they deserve the same case and attention as my daughter does. I would not give up on her if she got sick and I will not give up on them. Frankly, I have gotten into many debates with people on this issue and my opinion will ALWAYS be the same. ALL animals, regardless of cost or size should deserve the same care. Just because the pet is not expensive or is maybe not everyone's idea of a good pet, this does not make them any less reliant on you for EVERYTHING, including medical care. They are living, breathing creatures and deserve to be treated as such. If someone feels pets are disposable or deserving anything less than the best care (including vet care),then they have no business getting a pet.

*Climbing off my soap box*

Sorry for the rant . . . .

Rest assured, you're doing the right thing. Maybe next time your boyfriend is sick or needs something medical, you should give him the same argument he gives you about the animals :)

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
I have a parrot with chronic sinus issues related to being abandoned in his previous home. He requires regular nasal flushes, as well as medicine if he has any kind of infection. At home, I built him a nebulizer, plus he goes in a travel cage in the bathroom for steam. Many people who know I do all this think I'm going overboard. But, he is happy and (relatively) healthy, and I love him and want the best for him. He is not a sweet, cuddly, or even friendly bird. I don't care. He still deserves treatment when he's not feeling well.

You need to do what's right for you and your animals. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Animals need care, that's how it goes with animals. Especially long lived animals like rabbits and dogs who as they get older have age related problems like arthritis. I agree with what others have said, you may want to start a fund for medical bills that way when something does come up you don't have to give up on life to take care of it. Maybe that is where your BF is coming from? I do not think you are wrong in paying the animal medical bills above going to the movies, that is a given with pet ownership, but I wonder if with a little fore planning things might not be just a little easier for you financially.

I just spent 720 dollars on my dog yesterday to removed a tumor from his mouth and have it sent out for lab work. Depending on how the lab tests come back we may be putting another 2-3,000 into our dog. He's our dog, he's been there through everything and even saved our house and possibly ourselves from an intruder once. How could we not spend the money if it will cure him? How is it possible to say, "this dog is not worth the money" if he is healthy otherwise?

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Inle_Rabbit, you want to talk about a long lived animal? My african grey is only 13, and could live to age 70 or beyond. Although most in captivity don't live that long. My conures might see 30 years old, and they are between 6-9 right now.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
The other thing I do (aside from setting aside money) is take my pets to the same vet whenever possible. Needless to say, I have developed a close relationship with them. When the big bills come up, I am honest with them about what the current financial situation is and what I can afford. They are usually more than willing to work with me on a payment plan of some sort. Most vets would rather work out a payment arrangement than see an owner not get necessary medical treatment for their pet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.