Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Help needed Urgently!!!!

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Hey guys just noticed this hard spot on Justin's back which is tender for him as he squeaks when i touched it, have posted pics, and worst part is outwardly he looks absolutely health eats drinks and pee's / poops just fine.

also to note he has been treated with

[h=1]Xeno 450 Spot on Tubes 6 Pack - XENO 450 is designed as a topical spot on for use on rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets and birds. The active ingredient Ivermectin is a substance known as an endectocide because it kills parasites that cause infestation inside the body (endoparasites) as well as those living outside the body, on the skin (ectoparasites). Ivermectin is used in many species for the control of mites, roundworms and lice.[/h]
it's put on once every 2 weeks for 6 weeks and he's finished that course around 2 weeks ago, (had to put it on for lice - vet's orders)

But otherwise he is absolutely fine, squeaking, popcorning, humping Junior and generally making a full of himself including sniffing/licking Junior's butt (wifey reckons it's from the fight that Justin and Andy had, i think the scab which is showing as sticking out of his skin might have been from it, but the spot????)

please help if anyone has seen or heard of this before some idea as to what i'm looking at would be gr8, Justin has made huge inroads with settling down with Rusty and Junior if I have to quarantine him now it's the whole weeks worth of work down the drain and we'll have to start all over again and he's only just starting to get used to them and have fun again after his spat with Andy.

Help needed Urgently!!!!Help needed Urgently!!!!Help needed Urgently!!!!Help needed Urgently!!!!Help needed Urgently!!!!

(broken link removed)

It does not look like mites. It looks more like a bite wound. Has he been fighting with other pigs? Either way, you have to monitor closely. It can turn into an abscess.

You can clean the wound. See this link for what to use.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

Edit to add: I'd recommend cleaning the wound 2 - 3 times per day until it heals.

He was fighting with Andy a couple of weeks back hence why we thought the scab at the top of the pic was from, (the scab seems to have something sticking out of it????) but that round thing underneath the scab? doesn't look like a scab ive ever seen and i've had plenty lol

I think it already is an abscess, and he needs vet treatment. If it's scabbed over and sore, the pain probably isn't from the bite, it's from the infection underneath. If it were my pig, we'd be on our way to the vet.

How large is your cage? It takes a lot of room for 3 boars.

brilliant, just what i wanted to hear, well looks like a visit to the vet's tomorrow after work, he's not overly concerned with it as he only bothers when we actually touch it. dammit, he's costing me huge bucks now lol the things we do for our pets hey.

Just in case anyone was wondering turns out those marks were scabs from his fighting and are healing up really nicely

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.