Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Impacted cecum

Smudgetoffee

Cavy Slave
Spidey senses have been tingling for a while with this one.

Our pig, Smudge, is 6~7 years old. Has suffered from impaction for several months and has to be "emptied" every other day.

He's also had bloat problems for most of his life (which very nearly killed him at the age of ~3 years, a dose of fibreplex was what brought him back).

He's been acting oddly, I can't put my finger on it. Begging constantly but refusing/slowly eating anything we give him. Last time he did this was shortly before the aforementioned bloating incident.

Got him into the vets earlier, and apparently his back teeth are only just starting to go out of control, and he has a growth "the size of the plum" in his cecum. His teeth have been excellent for most of his life and has only ever needed the occasional small trim of the front four teeth.

They are worried it's some form of tumor and he is going in for an X-ray tomorrow (they're going to see if they can do the teeth while they're there, too).

He has been prescribed Infacol (for the umpteenth time), and Liquid Paraffin 3xdaily.

Just want to know. What should I expect? How likely is it to be cancer, and would it be kinder to put him down given his old age if so?

What else could it be? How should I be caring for him?

Cheers

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Surgeries on pigs' intestinal tracts don't have great outcomes, generally. Given his age, if it is a tumor and involves the intestine, I'd be tempted to either make him comfortable for as long as I could, if possible, or have him put to sleep. If it doesn't involve the intestine, then you could let his general condition be the guiding factor. If he's in good health, he probably could withstand the surgery if it isn't too extensive. If he's not, it might be kinder to let him go.

Make sure they give him pain medication after the tooth procedure, especially if there are any sores in his mouth from overgrown tooth points, or if they cause any during the planing. Unfortunately, that will probably exacerbate any impaction problems, but he's not going to eat if his mouth is sore and he's in pain.

I'm sorry you're faced with such hard decisions. I know you'll do what's best for him.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you have to go through with this, it's always hard when they're sick. Keep him comfortable, give him lots of cuddles, and wait to see what the vet says. If it is a tumour, it might be best to give him a comfortable end to his life. I don't know about putting him down, but if he is really suffering, that would be in his best interest. He has had a long happy life I'm sure.

Smudgetoffee

Cavy Slave
Guys. Got him back from the vet earlier, it's not a tumor!!

He has a GI blockage and is now on Fibreplex 1xDay, 0.5ml Liquid paraffin 3xDay, Infacol and Loxicom. Already looks a factor of 5 better and actually went out the way to drag food into his house earlier.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Smudgetoffee
YAY ! Thank goodness. That little piggy is a trouper.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Guys. Got him back from the vet earlier, it's not a tumor!!
Just spotted the thread and though I'd say I'm happy for you and Smudge! I hope treatment goes well. Your piggie sounds like a strong little trooper :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.