Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Wall Height?

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
What height do you prefer your coroplast "walls" to be and why? I have seen everything ranging from two inches to six inches and even twelve inches for "back" walls. I will be using fleece for most of the cage and possibly litter for the kitchen. Im about to take the big step of cutting the coroplast and Im afraid I will change my mind and want something different as soon as the cut is made. . Lol . . So scary! Feel free to add pictures if you want so I can see the various options :)

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
The height depends on several factors, two of them being the age of your pigs and the bedding you plan on using.

Low sides (2-6 inches) works well with 4-6+ month pigs and people using fleece bedding.

Higher sides (6+ inches) is better for baby pigs and/or people using loose bedding like shavings, carefesh, wood pellets and so on. The higher sides stop the pigs from kicking out the loose bedding (not all of it but a much bigger amount compared to lower sides).

I hope this helps :)

Kim Loves Cavys

Cavy Slave
We have 3 inch walls, and use fleece. We like that we can see the piggies in their cage from our couch too. :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Please note, for babyproofing, walls should be 10 inches high, not 6.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
No babies to worry about . . . all are adult rescues. Thanks for your input :)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My walls are about two inches, but once I line the coro base with towels and fleece the walls are pretty non-existent. I don't have an issues with poop being flung out, but when it does happen my dogs take care of it. :sick:

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
My walls are about two inches, but once I line the coro base with towels and fleece the walls are pretty non-existent. I don't have an issues with poop being flung out, but when it does happen my dogs take care of it. :sick:

I didn't think about the towels and fleece adding height. I made mine three inches so i guess we will see how that goes. Worse case, I have another whole sheet I can use if I decide I want the walls bigger. Thanks for your advice :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.