Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Dad hates the veterinarian?

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
Hey. I'm 15 and I live with my dad, so I rely on him to take me anywhere. He doesn't like taking my pigs to the vet, and I never have the money for it. The check-ups are $50 and the most I ever have is $30. I am always spending my money on guinea pig food, I get $13 a week. My dad does not lend money either. My guinea pig, Milo, had a heart problem and was actually dying. I convinced my dad to take him to the vet, he said fine, and the vet diagnosed Milo. The heart medicine was $200 and the cost of putting him down was $110. My dad had me put Milo down. That was back in April. I'm worried now something like that might happen again. I always save my money, and I just started highschool this year and I am already super busy with all the work and have no time for a job except my chores. What can I do???

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you can talk your vet into giving you a payment plan? Pay 10 or 15 or 20 a week or whatever you can afford, and pay it off slowly? Many vets, especially ones you have an established relationship with, will work with you that way. That's how I worked it out when I was unemployed.

As for GETTING there...that's a lot rougher. I'm lucky. My vet makes housecalls. Is there any chance your vet would be willing to do that, at least in emergency situations?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
You should have had the vet situation figured out before you got pigs. If you are willing and able to pay for all vet bills, problem solved. If not, which you weren't, you need to rely on a parent. So consult with them. If they aren't able to, you are best off waiting to get a Pig until you can set aside money.

It sounds like you are busy! No time for things but chores? Then are you going to have enough time to offer Pigs an hour of out of cage time and cuddles each day? Able to spend half an hour of feeding and cage cleaning time each day? Make sure you put the living things first! It helps a lot to get a good schedule. Trust me, it takes FOREVER to perfect it. I know first-hand, haha. :)

"I'm super worried something like that might happen again"

Well, you wouldn't have to worry if you consult your parents about it or work on a fund for the Pigs. If you or someone around you cannot provide for your Pigs medical needs (they will most likely have to go to the vet at some point) then you are simply better off waiting for Pigs. It would be selfish to get them if you don't know where the cash for their next vet appointment will be coming from.

;)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rake leaves? Mow lawns? Baby sit? Clean houses? All things a 15 year old can do and probably in your neighborhood without branching out too much.

The second thing to do is make a budget. How much money do the piggies need? How much do you need for xyz? Try to think in terms of need and not want.

3rd: stick to your budget. It may take a few months to get use to it but once you do it will be easy.
4th: Save up an emergency fund of at least 500 dollars from working extra jobs and sticking to your budget. That way when disaster strikes, as it will eventually, you are prepared.

Hope you can find a way to make it all work. Good luck. =)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Both of my kids got jobs when they turned 16. They were also involved in a lot of school activities and even worked while they were in college. You should start looking for a part time job you can get when you turn 16. All of my daughter's jobs related to her career choice: education. She worked at an after school program at our local elementary school and worked as as aide for a summer program for special needs children. She got a really good job after graduating and her part time jobs probably gave her an edge. My son still in college and works at a grocery store. Their employers were flexible with their schedules so work wouldn't interfere with school.

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
Where I live, the only jobs available are for 18 year olds. I tried getting five different jobs this summer- A bakery, The Pet Store, One Stop Pet Shop, Pet Value, and Weis Markets. They all turned me down because of my age.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Where I live, the only jobs available are for 18 year olds. I tried getting five different jobs this summer- A bakery, The Pet Store, One Stop Pet Shop, Pet Value, and Weis Markets. They all turned me down because of my age.

You should try larger businesses like Kmart, Walmart, McDonald's, etc. When you turn 16, there won't be as many restrictions as there are for 14 and 15 year olds seeking employment. Talk to your guidance counselors at school and ask if they have any suggestions. The businesses you mentioned are probably smaller and want someone to work full time. You should look at businesses that offer entry level and part time, flexible positions.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My first job was at 13. I was a caddy at a golf corse. I also babysat and walked dogs between 13 and 15. Jobs open up more at 16 in the real world because generally people start driving. You don't always have to "get a job" you can create one by walking dogs or baby sitting or cleaning houses all you can do at 15.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I started work at 16 through a school-based program. I wanted a horse desperately and had no parental support at all (dad was deceased, mother was pretty much uninterested in parenting). I worked at a riding stable for a couple of years to learn all about them, then got into the work program, saved up enough money to buy one, and continued the work to pay boarding bills, vet bills, etc. entirely on my own. I owned that horse for over 25 years, and he was truly my baby.

If there's a will, there's a way, no matter what your age. You have to be willing to do what it takes to properly care for your animals, whether they're a little piggy, a big horse, or anything in between. If there are no jobs near you and your school doesn't have a work program, start your own business. Clean houses, pick up dog poop in yards, do landscaping...do whatever it takes. I've been there/done that so I know it's possible.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with @mufasa .
I'm 13 and pay for all of my pets as I started up an online business.
I sew and sell hammocks and cozys for rodents here in NZ; I'm sure if you give it a good think over you'll be able to think of a job that you can do to help pay for looking after your animal/s.

Whats also great with making and selling your own stuff is that you get to meet different people, as I now know a Chinchilla Rescue lady and a wonderful couple who run a Animal Sanctuary.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I got my first job at 13 working at an Amish farmers market lol! Often times farms and farmers markets will hire younger people since it is under the table anyway and really its a great thing to support local farms and markets. I always had a great time as well although it can be tough work. Just an idea :)

Nix16

Cavy Slave
My brother and I got jobs delivering newspapers in our area when he was 12 and I was 13. Then I got a job booking appointments and sweeping the floor at the local hairdresser during school holidays. At 16 I worked at the dental surgery filing, doing postal run etc. also when I was younger I had a friend whose parents had plenty of money so my brother and I would go to their place to do chores such as polish shoes, wash cars etc with their kids, they paid better than my parents for chores lol. If none of that is possible then I guess you'll just have to save the best you can and hope that your piggies don't get sick. If they do you may just have to accept what your dad says or try to make arrangements with the vet. It's a tricky situation unfortunately.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'd highly recommend looking at ACME if you have one near you. They hire lots if kids fourteen and up to bag stuff. My mother works there, and they allow me to come in and train my service dog, so often times I just stay their the whole day with her. From what I've seen it seems pretty easy, and you get lots of breaks. Plus it'd help you to pay the vet bills. You can also do other things as talked about above like pet sitting/walking, babysitting, mowing lawns, ect.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
these are all wonderful suggestions. some places have little to no job opportunities for young people, as well as little to no public transportation, all of which factor into be able to work

i think the bottom line is: you need to think about your lifestyle and resources (like money) and figure out what animal you're able to care for right now under these circumstances. It may be that later on in your life you will be able to afford different pets, but maybe not now.

think about your money, and the time that a pig (or any pet) would need from you. there's nothing wrong with saying you can't have a pig as a pet right now, and perhaps a different animal would be better. there IS something wrong and unfair to the pig, if you take a pig home without having money or time to care for him the way he needs to be taken care of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.