Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finally Introducing Myself :)

emmaf520

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

So I've actually been a member of this forum for a few months now but I never really introduced myself. My name is Emma and I love all things animals :) I'm still in college (studying animal science). I had a guinea pig many years ago and I absolutely loved him. So when I moved into my own apartment at the beginning of the summer I ended up adopting my lovely Penelope, an approximately two year old female who had been passed around from home to home most of her life.

I had been wanting to get a companion for her pretty much since the beginning but no option ever ended up working out. Well I finally was able to find a friend for her (a beautiful Pink Eyed White girl with a little rosette on the top of her head) and after some quarantining and adjustment time, I was able to introduce them a few days ago. I was ready with a towel and held my breath but they literally instantly got along. The attached picture is them sharing a carrot about 10 minutes after the introduction. When I put them together in their new bigger cage (a 3x3 (which is an upgrade from Penelope's 2x3 and the new girl's store bought cage)) the new girl began to obsessively popcorn! It was the cutest thing EVER! She will also popcorn when she hears a bag crinkling (even the trash bag for their poop!).

Finally Introducing Myself :) (left: new girl, right: Penelope)

The only "scuffles" they ever have is if the new girl gets too much in Penelope's face. Other than that, we're good. I still monitor their veggie times quite a bit because the new girl has a tendency to take food from Penelope and poor Penelope just doesn't care. So to make sure everyone is getting their fair share of food (especially with Penelope being on the small side and the new girl being on the chunky side), I sit and watch and will sometimes even hand feed them their veggies. I know that is probably an awful habit but hopefully it won't last long...

As you can all probably tell by me constantly using the term 'new girl' instead of a name, Penelope's new friend still doesn't have a name. I could really use suggestions! I love theme names but I can't think of any theme that includes Penelope. A couple of suggestions and ideas I already have are: Poppy (because of her popcorning), Porky (for Porky Pig since Penelope is actually Penelope Pig), Petunia (again with the Penelope Pig, Petunia Pig thing), Pudge (because she's pudgy), and Patsy. I appreciate any suggestions for a name or votes for current ideas you all can give. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Bella, Belle, Pam, Pamela, Prim, Primrose, Penny, Izzi.

Hello there! Adorable pigs! I like Petunia Pig. I think it matches Penelope Pig.
So glad you finally decided to join us. You are so welcome! Looking forward to sharing all things [maybe] Petuina and Penelope.

They are so cute! My 4yr old is looking at this with me she says Princeness Pig!

Very sweet little piggies. Here is a totally random name suggestion you will either love or hate, but I'll put it out there Anyway. There is a kids show called Penelope, the main character is a little blue koala who is obviously named Penelope, one of her friends is a little white bear called cesarine, strange name I know, but your new girl does look like a little white bear (with a bit of imagination). Just different spin on a pair name

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think we're actually gonna go with Patsy for her name. She will stop being referred to as the new girl! :)

@Nix16 Clever suggestion but I have no idea how you would pronounce that name haha.

Hello, welcome to the forum, I love petunia

I like Patsy, too. I also like Patty Cake, Peppermint Patty or Patty Melt. Those were names we almost chose instead of Crab Cake.

I like Patsy, too. I also like Patty Cake, Peppermint Patty or Patty Melt. Those were names we almost chose instead of Crab Cake.

OMG Crab cake...too adorable

OP I LOVE Petunia. I also love Patty. Your piggys are VERY adorable.

OMG Crab cake...too adorable

OP I LOVE Petunia. I also love Patty. Your piggys are VERY adorable.

The original owner named her Oreo because she's black and white. We named her Moo, then Ala Mode. None of those names fit her. She's pretty strong willed and is the adult daughter of my other texel. She follows the mom around and is always sort of ornery... kind of spoiled.... so Crab Cake really fits her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.