Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet A Good Vet and a Sick Pig

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Triton had had some issues about 10 days ago, with a bit of weight loss and trouble eating. He got through it, put most of the weight back on, and was eating just fine until yesterday.

He seemed a little off in the afternoon, less interested in rumblestrutting or even just eating his hay. We weighed him and his weight had slipped about 30 grams. He seemed to want to eat -- he would sit in front of his hay or pellets or veg and poke it but not eat it. We mushed up some critical care and gave him that in the evening.

After midnight, he started drooling.

Early Monday mornings and there are very few options. My husband called our regular exotic vet on an impulse, before hours. The vet's assistant (a super cool woman with piggies of her own) was in prepping for a very busy day. No appointments but when she heard the symptoms she said it was clearly an emergency and the vet opened his office early for us.

My husband took Triton and I am at home with the kids waiting on pins and needles.

I just wanted to share, with all of the horror stories about vets, that there is a practice that cares enough about piggies and knows enough that piggies have emergencies, that they would open up their office early for us.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's great. Those are classic signs of molar problems -- hope s/he's a good piggy dentist!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Our vet does Picckalo's periodic filings (partially paralyzed jaw) and it works really well, so we think we're in a good position as far as that goes. Thank goodness!

The update from the vet: Triton has lost 100 grams. He still has some fat reserves, so he's stable. The vet is keeping him the rest of the day and probably overnight. We gave him pain meds and motility drugs yesterday and this a.m., as we thought it could be his teeth. Vet was glad and is giving him more aggressive motility treatment and the vet assistant will handfeed him. They provide care during the nights for the critters, so he won't be left alone.

They're going to do progressive stages -- IV next, then if nothing presents they'll go to anesthesia, bloodwork, and x-rays.

There were no obvious issues with his teeth, but the vet knows that wiggly pigs mean that you can miss issues with molars. So he'll look again while Triton is under anesthesia.

No signs of stasis, torsion, major masses, etc. No sign of a URI.

We have a decent vet funds reserve, so we should be able to get whatever he needs done. But we're nervous that there isn't anything readily apparent.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Your vet sounds awesome, you are very lucky. Hope everything turns out OK. I will be waiting for news so keep us updated.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Update from the vet. Triton is still stable, alert, but still not eating. He's had IV fluids so he's hydrated and he has the pain and motility meds. He's groomed himself a couple of times but otherwise isn't interested in much. He's not generally a zoomy pig, but he does like to chut around so this is odd.

Looks like we'll be going to the next stage, putting him under to see what's up.

Momma2000

Cavy Slave
praying for you guys. I am glad you have a great vet

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy - sooo sorry to hear about triton - glad he's in good hands with your vet. so brilliant of you to catch the problem as early as you did! 'll keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. i know how hard the waiting can be!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Our vet just called again. Triton has refused food all day, so they gave him "assisted feeding" (the nice word for force feeding, I guess). It got his poo action going some, but while he is stable the vet wants to make sure that he is stable enough to undergo anesthesia.

So, they'll keep him with fluids and handfeeding tonight and then tomorrow they are going to put him under and look at his teeth and do an x-ray. If nothing is revealed they'll draw blood and urine while he is still under.

Thank you all for the good wishes and prayers! It's odd not hearing him rumblestrutting at Oink every two seconds and making her popcorn around the pen. I worry about Oink being alone, too. She doesn't like people much, but she and Triton are a wonderful, cranky old married couple and I know she feels his absence.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Prayers heading your way from me and the piggies.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
That is somsad i hope the poor baby gets better

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Sending prayers and good thoughts your way, for both Triton and Oink!! Poor piggies... I hope all goes well tomorrow!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Send prayers and positive vibes your way! Im glad to hear how awesome your vet is. I hope they find the problem and can treat it!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Our vet just called. Triton made it through the night and is stable enough to have anesthesia. They managed to get a urine sample from him last night and he has some blood in his urine. Could be a UTI, could be stones. But we gave the vet the go-ahead to do the anesthesia, dental check, and x-rays. And to draw blood if necessary.

I know we read over and over again that they hide symptoms being prey animals and all, but I wish I could've known somehow earlier that he was this sick. I'm grateful that he is still well enough to be examined and treated, though.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
Ah that sucks. Did you go in there and say goodbye then hope for the best i know i would want to say goodbye just in case

Hope it all goes well

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ah that sucks. Did you go in there and say goodbye then hope for the best i know i would want to say goodbye just in case

Hope it all goes well

My husband and I tag-teamed yesterday and each took a half-day from work, but I can't today. But, I am prepared to leave early if necessary!

I understand what you mean, though.

Oink isn't eating as much as she usually does, either. She's had hay and a taste of lettuce, but she normally will eat everything in sight (just like her name, she's a pig!). She entirely left a carrot and green pepper. I think she misses him.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
Thats my biggest fear one pig moves on and the other pig left heartbroken

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I hope I'm not over-posting. Vet called, Triton stopped breathing during the exam. They revived him, however they do it, but he's a little dazed. His teeth are perfect, no sign of bladder stones, kidney issues, no masses. Basically the only things they have to go on are the blood in his urine and significant weight loss.

They are sending out his bloodwork to another lab to do the white cell stuff and diabetes and so on. He said it much more coherently.

We decided to have him stay at the vet's one more day. He's on a bunch of meds and critical care, which we can do with no problem. But my husband and I may have a dodgy schedule this evening and tomorrow a.m., so we wouldn't be here to reliably sub-Q him for the fluids (he refuses to drink from the bottle). The prospect of dehydration scares me.

I'm researching some of the other possibilities on guinealynx of course but this is where Triton is.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Poor boy! I'm glad he survived the anestesia, and I hope they figure out what is going on!! I hope Oink regains her appetite soon! I too am afraid of loosing one of my pigs, leaving the other heart broken :( Still thinking of you/praying for your piggies!!

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
Ah man i hope he gets better and becomes a healthy pig thats a lot to hope for but at least im hopeing he gets a bit better

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
Keep us updated on Triton...I have been thinking of him since you first posted, and have been lurking to send all my good thoughts his way. The boys send their wheeks and popcorns - get better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.