Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello to all from a Newbie from FL

NiteOwl716

Cavy Slave
I just want to introduce myself to the forum. I am the proud owner of three guinea pigs: SweetPea, Sophie Loren, and Pumpkin. We recently were informed by our exotics vet that Pumpkin is a boy.(!)

I live in St. Petersburg, Florida; married; a grandmother and "human" to my three darling pigs. My husband and I absolutely adore them.

Have a vet appt today for Pumpkin (eye injury caused by timothy hay) and am going to discuss neutering. We are not determined to do this; just have many, many questions for our vet.

I'll post pictures of our little ones after I get back. Have to scoot!

Have a lovely day.:love:

Welcome to GPC! How shocking that must be for one to be a boy. I hope he has been separated from the girls now.

Welcome from a fellow Floridian! I'm over by Disney World, but I head out your way to go to the beach. I like it so much better than the Atlantic side.

Did you get any of your piggies from the rescue out there? That's where I was planning to adopt from before Quinn dropped into my life.

Welcome, I life north of you in Palm Harbor!

Another fellow Floridian here*wave*
I'll be heading your way to view adoptable guineas from a rescue out there. Is Pumpkin separated from the ladies? I would seriously think about the pros and cons to neutering Pumpkin. It is a risky producer and shouldn't be taken lightly. Also, if 1 or both of your girls happen to come up pregnant from the time they all spent together, they could pop out some boars for Pumpkin to be roommates with.
I'm looking forward to seeing pigtures of your furry babies. They are such bundles of joys to have around.

Welcome to GPC! How shocking that must be for one to be a boy. I hope he has been separated from the girls now.

Here's the part where I'm the idiot: I've had Pumpkin for 2 years. Never had a male before.:eek: My sows are 4.5 yrs. old. So there will be no little Pumpkins at anytime. ;)

And yes, he's separated from the the girls when they're all in their in their day pen (for play and exercise). So now he worships from afar via a cage wall in the pen.

I didn't get my cavy kids from a rescue. It was while I was in the pet store getting my cats food, etc., when I first saw SweetPea. Love at first site. She was able to sit on hubby's lap with both the cats and they didn't mind her at all. I have a pix of that and I will upload that too.

I talked at length with my vet today and she's done many, many neuter/spays of cavies (and just did one on a groundhog). After discussing the risks, the new anesthesia suroflurane (sp?), the post-surgical potential risks, etc., etc., etc., hubby and I decided to sleep on it as it is costly. However, she said if we decided to proceed, she is happy to help us out.

Incidentally, Pumpkin's right eye is now healed. Finished his metacam a week ago and no longer needs his ointment from this point forward. She was very pleased, as was I. So tomorrow is bath day.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Oh, SweetPea has her own Facebook page and she's a character. She's my alpha cavy and a lot like me: feisty and sassy. She's cuter than me, too.

*Waving to ya'll, including my FL cavy friends*

Another floridian here I live in ocalà and what started out as a couple of pets has tremendously increased. Counting the 2 new litters we are at 15 and looking for loving homes. One baby is favoring an eye. No crust and a small stuck hair. Is it possible moms milk matted the hair. He or she as they are to tiny to sex are from a litter of 4 and will be a week on Saturday. Glad to hear yours is feeling better

Another floridian here I live in ocalà and what started out as a couple of pets has tremendously increased. Counting the 2 new litters we are at 15 and looking for loving homes. One baby is favoring an eye. No crust and a small stuck hair. Is it possible moms milk matted the hair. He or she as they are to tiny to sex are from a litter of 4 and will be a week on Saturday. Glad to hear yours is feeling better

My daughter and her family live in Ocala. Small world, eh? You have 15 pups? I hope they find loving forever homes. I just have the three. I have to find where to upload pix here as I'm still finding my way around here (and get lost easily--lol).

Have a great day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.