Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet spurs: questions re:care +bedding?

skritters

Cavy Slave
While clipping BMO's nails today I noticed a spur on her one foot. At first I was terrified it was bumblefoot but it is like a hard callus that sticks out to the side from her foot pad. It seems to cause her no pain, her leg isn't swollen, and is not limiting her movements. After reading around and looking at pics, I'm pretty sure it's a spur. It's fairly long considering I've never noticed it before (and I clip their nails every few weeks.)

I've read from some people that you can just leave it, but I think I'll try trimming it back gradually. If I trim it, can I just pop her back in the cage, or should I clean it somehow first? Is there any chance of infection?

I can't seem to determine from my searches what really causes them. Their bedding is wood pellets, which they've always done well on. Could this be the cause, or, now that she's got one, will the bedding aggravate it? Would it be better to place fleece on top for softness?

Thanks for any help :)

I don't think bedding has anything to do with spurs.

You CAN try to clip it using human nail clippers. But I wouldn't, if you don't have to.

I believe you can just pop her back in, but I am not sure. I would clean it just to be sure, there could be a microscopic hole in her foot where bacteria could get.

Honestly I would just ignore it, and switch to Fleece just because it IS softer. Though that may not be what is causing the spur. :)

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
One of my boars has them on his front feet. It's not related to the bedding you have them on (mine are on fleece).

I had asked my vet about them years back when I first adopted my guy, and was told that some pigs just develop them. I trim them back just a tad so that he doesn't catch them on something and tear them off. I just trim the excess that really sticks out using a nail clippers when I am doing his nails. I am not removing them, just making them smaller.

It's nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye that she doesn't catch one, which would give her an open sore. I personally don't put any oil or such on my guy because he'd lick it off, and I'm not sure I want him eating that.

In the past, 3 out of my 4 guinea pigs had spurs when I used to have them on aspen bedding 24/7. It always made me so nervous to clip them off, I always felt like I was going to hurt them, even though they didn't mind!

My two girls now, who live on fleece (except their kitchen area) have never had a spur, so I'm not sure if it's bedding or not, but I would think that their little feet definitely have to "toughen" up more living on bedding than fleece. Just my two cents, because I've often wondered if there was a correlation between bedding choices and spurs as well. Very interesting to hear other's thoughts!

So that's what you call those? Flora has those on part of her front feet. They are like really hard calluses that stick out. She also has part of her foot that is swelling up a bit. I looked at it today, but there's no open sore, and she isn't favoring it. I'll take a pic of it this weekend.

I was using aspen shavings for bedding when my sow got spurs, since I switched her to softer things like carefresh and hay and hers went away, so I do think it has something to do with bedding.

Mine has one too. Had my vet look at it and she said she would leave it alone and not clip it unless it started to snag on things.

I've read many articles that say bedding has nothing to do with spurs, and that it's mainly just genetics. Some piggies get them while others don't. George gets them occasionally. The first time I saw one on him I, too, freaked out a little thinking it was bumble foot. But then I looked it up and saw that it was normal. When he does get them, I clean his foot then carefully trim them with nail clippers.

I've had my pigs on fleece. I have one pig that happened to develop a spur on one of her front paws. When it gets a little long I go ahead and trim it, with nail clippers, a little because I don't want it to rip off. It's really not a big deal just make sure it's not going to snag on something.

My spur pig is on fleece too. I think its is just the luck of the draw.

Yes, bedding has nothing to do with the developing of spurs. Some pigs get them, some don't. If I notice one while doing nail trimming I just nip it off, but not too close to the foot pad.

Is that what this is?
spurs: questions re:care +bedding?
It seems to be much larger than other pictures I saw on a quick google, should I assume she is overdue for having it trimmed? (We just adopted her).

Looks like it. Since it is so long, I would probably trim it to keep it from snagging on anything. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, takeover to vet for a check up since you just got her and ask them to show you how to do it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.