Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Back home from the vet!

CaliMoo

Cavy Slave
I just brought my guinea pig home from the vet and she got a shot of invermectin, dex sodium phosphate, and also some tri octi ointment. He gave me instructions to bathe her when I got home so I did and then put some ointment on her. I cleaned out her cage and she still scratches here and there So my question is how long will it take her to feel better? And stop scratching?

What is the treatment for? Mites and fungus? It may take a couple more treatments of the invermectin. I believe it is spaced at every 2 weeks (3 treatments total).... Do not quote me on that. I am sure someone with more experience can elaborate.

They didn't say anything about going back there for treatment and frankly I just cant afford it at the moment since this vet visit left me broke. I believe it is for mites.

Ivermectin will only work if given at least two treatments but preferably three, each a week apart. You don't need a vet to administer it, you can do it yourself.

What is the dex for? What did you bathe her with? What is the ointment for?

Ditto @foggycreekcavy. One treatment of ivermectin won't do any good. Read www.guinealynx.info/mites.html for how you can treat her yourself for the remaining treatments.

Did you mean tri-otic ointment? And why was she given the dex sodium phosphate?

It'll probably take a day or so, maybe more, for the itching to calm down.

Most vets should sell you ivermectin without you taking the pig in. You'll want atleast another dose. I just treated Gracie for mites and I gave her 1 dose and then another 10 days later.

The vet told me to bathe her with baby shampoo, and the ointment was for her open scabs but she hates it and I noticed on the box it says it's for dogs and they told me to put pea sized amounts on the open sores. I don't recall what the dex sodium phosphate was for. Is it bad? How much would they sell me the ivermectin for?

You can get the ivermectin from a feed or farm store, or even online.

Since she has mites, I would not bathe her. The ointment is a basic antibiotic ointment, but if your guinea pig licks it off it can cause an upset stomach. I would not use it.

The dex is a steroid, probably to get the pig to stop itching and scratching and wounding herself.

My advice is to get some ivermectin and treat for mites seven days after the first shot, then again seven days after that.

i tried calling today and they were really hesitant to sell me the ivermectin at the vet and they told me they would give me a call back. i only showered her because she had a bit of bag balm on her wounds to stop her from scratching. shes doing better now, shes back to eating and drinking. im hoping to get her ivermectin soon so i can have it on hand before the seven days come. thank you for your help.

Bag Balm is not good for guinea pigs.

I did what i could to keep her from scratching and causing more injury to herself. she already had open sores and thats all that managed to keep her calm until the vet day came. i never used an excessive amount on her i only put pea size amounts to help soothe her. shes doing a lot better now thank you for your concern :)

I have picked up ivermectin in the past from feed stores for $3-4........

I have picked up ivermectin in the past from feed stores for $3-4........

im having trouble finding some feed stores around my area. but i talked with my vet and they are selling me the ivermectin so ill be able to take care of cali :) thank you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.