Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Texel Getting over Pneumonia - Need Advice Please!!

Mokie

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I have a 2 year old Texel that just got over pneumonia and an URI. He was on antibiotics for 14 days with pro-biotics. Luckily, he still kept his appetite when he was going through the ordeal, but now that he's over the URI & pneumonia his appetite is now decreasing in regards to the greens that we give him (i.e. romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, etc...). He will eat a few small bites and go eat some hay, drink some water and lay down then repeat throughout the day. Do you think it could possibly be that his digestive tract is out of whack due to the antibiotics and that I need more pro-biotics?

I've also noticed that since he's gotten over his ailments he has been wanting to chew anything and everything including our new carpeting. Prior to his illness he never once went after our carpeting. We don't want to ban him from running around and getting his exercise, but we're trying to figure out what is causing him to want to chew on everything in sight. He's never done this before. Could this be some form of aggression?

Any help would grealty be apprciated.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would continue with the probiotics for a few days. They won't hurt him, and should help.

The lethargy may just be the result of having had pneumonia, or the lack of eating greens may be contributing to it. Weigh him daily, at the same time of day (before breakfast is best if you can manage that), and keep a record to see what his weight is doing.

Chewing is often a sign of pain, but not so much when they're just wandering around sampling everything.

Does he have any trouble actually eating things when he tries, or does he seem like he's having trouble chewing then?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree, continue with the probiotics.

There is a possibility that he wasn't eating as much as usual, and his teeth have overgrown. Ditto bpatters--does he have trouble chewing?

Also, are you sure he's over the pneumonia? Sometimes it can take quite a while to recover.

Mokie

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the replies! We will pick up more probiotics from our vet today and continue to give him those. He isn't lethargy at all. He's actually running around, but sampling everything in site.

We had his teeth checked at the vet and I've also looked at them and they're fine. He was eating normally actually when he had pneumonia and the URI, which was odd. He isn't having any trouble chewing. He's eating twice as much hay and drinking a ton of water, which he didn't do prior to the illness.

So, we were leaning on that his digestive system is out of whack more so then his teeth since he's been able to chew fine. It's just his appetite for "greens" has declined and he's eating hay like there's no tomorrow and going through a big bottle of water daily. What would make a guinea pig want to eat more hay and drink more water? Do you think he knows that his digestive tract is not capable of digesting the greens properly so he his trying to digest them by eating more hay and drinking more water? I know he's not dumb by no means. You should see the things this guinea pig can do. He's the most intelligent guinea pig I've ever had in my 40 years of having guinea pigs. Thanks a bunch for all of your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How is he doing?

Mokie

Cavy Slave
He's doing really well. We've been giving him more pro-biotics and he seems to be eating more greens now then before so, his digestive tract must have been messed up from the 14 days of antibiotics.

The only problem we have now is that he is wanting to chew anything and everything, including our new carpeting. Not sure why. He's always been really good with that and only chew on his toys until after we finished giving him his antibiotics about a week and a half ago. It's got us stumped!

But, we're very happy that he's gotten thru it. He's a very determined guinea pig that's for sure!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.