Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping out a Kitten

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
I need help with keeping out my kitten. My family got a kitten about a month ago, and he keeps trying play, with them. But the only problem is, I don't have a c&c cage or small pet store cage. I know, you're probably wondering what then. One is in an aquarium, and another is in a plastic tub from Walmart.

I know they're bad for the pigs, but my mom says they're fine.

Please help me with kitten proofing and any tips to tell my mom would be great!

Momma2000

Cavy Slave
Can you get a screen and put over top? or a wire rack from a fridge?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Poor piggies...
Hmm. My kitten is the same way! :S A lot of people use wire shelving as tops. I don't use it personally (I use cubes), but I have heard great things about it. Somebody who uses it could tell you more about it.

As for your mom, tell her about all the health benefits of C&C cages. (Or at the very least, a storebought cage, with an attached covered playpen.) Make sure to let her know that it will save on expensive vet bills in the future. That should at LEAST get you a pet store cage. No one here will recommend them, but its preferable to an aquarium. If she still won't change her mind, look into buying a C&C yourself.

The Coroplast shouldn't cost you more than $20. If you get scrap, (cosmetic flaws, misprinted, wrong size, overstock, etc) it should cost you $5-10, or be free. When you call (USE THE PHONE BOOK!), I personally say, "Hi! I'm making a guinea pig cage, and was wondering how much a piece of 4x8 Coroplast would cost?" If they don't know what Coroplast is/say they don't have it, explain that it's basically cardboard in plastic form. Other call it corrugated plastic. If a standard piece is too much, say "Hmmm. What about scrap? Do you have anything that was misprinted, cut wrong, or have cosmetic flaws?" Acceptable flaws are listed above. You don't want to get a piece that has a gaping hole in it! :D Tell him the dimensions you want. (each grid is about 14 inches, so 14 inches x however many grids across you want it + 8 inches for the sides. Use this formula for both the length/ width of the Coroplast you want.) You could also duct tape 2 pieces together, which is what I did for my 1st cage.

2 boxes of WalMart cubes will be around $40 on the website. If your local store doesn't have them, go to walmart.com, and order them using Site-to-Store. They will bring it to the store for you to pick up for free. With 2 boxes, I made a 2x5, a 9 grid playpen, 2 hay racks, and had about 5-6 extra.

Cable ties (get at least 200~ you need about 2x as many as you think) will cost less than $5, if you get the little 4 inch ones.

All and all, the most it'll probably cost is $68, if you include gas money ($3, roughly)
The least: $48, also including gas money ($3, roughly)

Hope that helped! Personally message me if you have any more questions. Or quote me. I won't know that you asked me otherwise.

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
Poor piggies...
Hmm. My kitten is the same way! :S A lot of people use wire shelving as tops. I don't use it personally (I use cubes), but I have heard great things about it. Somebody who uses it could tell you more about it.

As for your mom, tell her about all the health benefits of C&C cages. (Or at the very least, a storebought cage, with an attached covered playpen.) Make sure to let her know that it will save on expensive vet bills in the future. That should at LEAST get you a pet store cage. No one here will recommend them, but its preferable to an aquarium. If she still won't change her mind, look into buying a C&C yourself.

The Coroplast shouldn't cost you more than $20. If you get scrap, (cosmetic flaws, misprinted, wrong size, overstock, etc) it should cost you $5-10, or be free. When you call (USE THE PHONE BOOK!), I personally say, "Hi! I'm making a guinea pig cage, and was wondering how much a piece of 4x8 Coroplast would cost?" If they don't know what Coroplast is/say they don't have it, explain that it's basically cardboard in plastic form. Other call it corrugated plastic. If a standard piece is too much, say "Hmmm. What about scrap? Do you have anything that was misprinted, cut wrong, or have cosmetic flaws?" Acceptable flaws are listed above. You don't want to get a piece that has a gaping hole in it! :D Tell him the dimensions you want. (each grid is about 14 inches, so 14 inches x however many grids across you want it + 8 inches for the sides. Use this formula for both the length/ width of the Coroplast you want.) You could also duct tape 2 pieces together, which is what I did for my 1st cage.

2 boxes of WalMart cubes will be around $40 on the website. If your local store doesn't have them, go to walmart.com, and order them using Site-to-Store. They will bring it to the store for you to pick up for free. With 2 boxes, I made a 2x5, a 9 grid playpen, 2 hay racks, and had about 5-6 extra.

Cable ties (get at least 200~ you need about 2x as many as you think) will cost less than $5, if you get the little 4 inch ones.

All and all, the most it'll probably cost is $68, if you include gas money ($3, roughly)
The least: $48, also including gas money ($3, roughly)

Hope that helped! Personally message me if you have any more questions. Or quote me. I won't know that you asked me otherwise.

You are awesome, aren't you. The only problem I have with buying the cage myself, is I don't have a job(except pet sitting the neighbors cat occasionally...), and my parents don't always pay me for chores(I don't really care though). I am asking for a c&c cage that is on eBay as an early Christmas present. Also another bad thing to add, is my mom won't let me take them to a vet.

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@AnimalLover202: Awww! :eek: Thanks! I've explained it a few times, and I'm on my second cage... So it's pretty easy to explain now! :D Go on CraigsList, and search for Wire Cubes, Wire Storage, Cubes, Storage Cubes, etc. You can get them for very cheap! I wouldn't recommend buying from eBay, as shipping would be insanely expensive. They are VERY heavy!

I don't have a job either, as I am too young. I occasionally work for my dad, but not regularly.
My parent's don't like taking them to the vet, but I pay for it myself. Try to see if you can make a little buisness on Etsy, or eBay if you have old stuff you want to sell, or are crafty. I'm 13, so it can be a challenge sometimes to get cash! :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I agree, I'm 15. I have been looking for a job but not a lot of people will hire at 15. I'll be 16 soon so hopefully I can finally get a job. I've sent out numerous resumes with no reply :(
I would like to add, however, that I have a paper route ! I don't know if they have them in either of your areas, but it will give you a little bit of pocket money to spend. I earn about 60-70$ a month, but I split it with my friend. It makes the task more fun. It is work, we do it three times a week and it takes about an hour to assemble, roll and deliver them. You should look into that, it WILL give you money to spend :)

Momma2000

Cavy Slave
I just want to say that you are some very responsible young people! My daughter is 11. She makes money by walking dogs. Her customers, do not like to walk them if it is raining, too hot, or too cold, so she gets them in bad weather, but she is happy with the money she makes :D

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Aww! Thanks! We just want the best for our pigs! That's great that she can make some money, while getting exercise at the same time! I live in front of my towns ghetto, so dog walking isn't an option! :D I make money by working at my dad's online antique map and book store. I mostly scan or Exacto out prints. Pretty boring, but it's right next door!

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
You're only 13?! I thought you would be an adult! I didn't think about shipping so I went and calculated it, $45.

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
I just want to say that you are some very responsible young people! My daughter is 11. She makes money by walking dogs. Her customers, do not like to walk them if it is raining, too hot, or too cold, so she gets them in bad weather, but she is happy with the money she makes :D

That's an idea, I'm not sure how to get out that I'm pet sitting. Walking dogs: I would love it during the cold, I'll talk to my parents a about it later.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
:eek: Really? I guess I just like to be informed. How old are you?

I knew shipping would be crazy. If you get the grids, are you going to do Site-to-Store, if your local store doesn't have them?

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
I agree, I'm 15. I have been looking for a job but not a lot of people will hire at 15. I'll be 16 soon so hopefully I can finally get a job. I've sent out numerous resumes with no reply :(
I would like to add, however, that I have a paper route ! I don't know if they have them in either of your areas, but it will give you a little bit of pocket money to spend. I earn about 60-70$ a month, but I split it with my friend. It makes the task more fun. It is work, we do it three times a week and it takes about an hour to assemble, roll and deliver them. You should look into that, it WILL give you money to spend :)

Hm, I don't think I have a paper route in my area, so that wouldn't work. I'll probably look for more things.

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
:eek: Really? I guess I just like to be informed. How old are you?

I knew shipping would be crazy. If you get the grids, are you going to do Site-to-Store, if your local store doesn't have them?

I'm 13 too. I'm not sure about the grids, I had a c&c cage once, but it failed. Then my mom threw it away when me and my sister changed rooms. But there where only 9 of the correct grids, but it was like $18(on sale). Do you know any places where it's all the correct size?

Momma2000

Cavy Slave
You can grids online at Bed, bath, and beyond for $17 with free shipping. They will say $19.99, but there is a coupon at check-out

aemsva

Cavy Slave
For everyone looking for a job, you need to talk to the managers! I made the mistakes of just giving my resumee to an employee to give to the managers, and 99% of the time employee's just throw them away (They don't want competition.) I was told this by an employee at a petland that if you give it to one of the employee's they will just dump it. The best way of getting is knowing someone, ask your friends if their parents work place if hiring, or if your friends boss is hiring, or if your parents know anyone who's hiring. You'll get a job, I searched high and low for two whole years and finally got one, don't loose hope!

And as for the grids at bed bath & beyond, on the website it says $24.99 for me... Does that coupon still apply Momma2000 do you think for someone living in Canada?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
If you live in Canada, walmart or sears is a better place to get them, by far.
At the end of the summer around here everyone hires, so I'm going to go searching again then. I did give my resume to a few managers, but I completely screwed up. I wasn't expecting to talk to any managers, and my brain went to mush when he started asking questions, it was awful.
What position do you want to apply for? *silence* I don't know.
Do you have any other job experiencee? Uh, no. OH wait I have a paper route?
I'm not suprised that I didn't get a call ... -.-

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@AnimalLover202, I said WalMart earlier... That, or Sears, CraigsList, or Bed Bath and Beyond. Look on CraigsList before you go to a store.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Also another bad thing to add, is my mom won't let me take them to a vet.
Then your mother has no place accepting animals into her home where they will ultimately be under her care. This is no reflection on you, as we can all tell you want what's best for your pigs, but it really pisses me off when parents let animals into their homes, but only on their terms, as though living conditions are something that can be compromised upon. And being unwilling to allow veterinary care for them only shows how disposable she thinks these animals are.

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
Then your mother has no place accepting animals into her home where they will ultimately be under her care. This is no reflection on you, as we can all tell you want what's best for your pigs, but it really pisses me off when parents let animals into their homes, but only on their terms, as though living conditions are something that can be compromised upon. And being unwilling to allow veterinary care for them only shows how disposable she thinks these animals are.

Well the thing is, she doesn't make much money. I'm probably going to look at shelters that list low cost clinics. But I have a question for you, how often should they go?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.