Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Choking, Bloat, and Eventual Death

PiBee

Cavy Slave
This is going to be a bit long but I want to make sure you guys know as much as possible. I am so confused about this whole thing and I would love any input!

My lovely pig passed on earlier today from what was thought to be bloat. Quick background-

- I got her from Petco three years ago (before I knew you could even adopt guinea pigs)
- She has always had an issue where she chokes a lot. It tended to be after she drank but would really occur randomly.
- When she hit 2 years, she started wheezing. Nothing was wrong and I took her to my trusted vet and she confirmed it, Pika was a healthy pig. The wheezing always stopped within the day and would often only happen in mornings.

Now to present day: On Thursday, she was 100% normal. On Friday she didn't leave her house until I put celery and lettuce out and then I realized she was breathing extremely fast and louder than normal. I immediately made an appointment at the vets because she was being very lethargic and her fur was puffed up, however she was still pooping and eating normally. At the vets, she told me that Pika seemed to be okay but her belly was squishy and it could possibly be bloat. She gave Pika a painkiller and a dose of vitamin C and a package of Oxbow Critical Care to syringe feed her with. I went home and immediately separated her and my other pig.

On Saturday Pika began to eat less and her breathing was a lot faster. She sat in her hidey house puffed up all day but was pooping more and eating hay. On Sunday, I was preparing for the worst as I left for work, she hadn't moved all night and had only made 7 poops in about 24 hours. She began refusing the Critical Care, regular food, and especially water (I gave her all three by syringe regardless). Her poops were coming but they would get stuck and then come out in strings with big air bubbles.

Today I woke up and her breathing had slowed to half a normal pigs breaths, and it seemed like it took terrible strength to breath. She also was choking frequently. I tried to syringe feed her and she ran away every time and tried to jump off the desk (something she has never attempted before). She eventually flipped over when I put her back because I knew that this was the end. Sure enough, she died about two hours later on my stomach as I pet her. She did one of her chokes and violently turned onto her back as if she were having a seizure and that was it.

After all this, my questions are: do you guys think her frequent choking and wheezing had anything to do with her sickness and death? Could her choking have anything to do with getting sudden bloat (I fed her no bloat-causing foods and she chewed on nothing dangerous)? I provided her with plenty of hay, veggies, and pellets. I am very confused about this whole thing and even though she is gone now, I would love to know any thoughts you guys have so I can possibly prevent this if it ever happens again.

Skippie

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I just came across this point as I am worried sick about my own pig who is having very similiar issues as yours but with more symptoms. Did you ever figure out what happened?
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are doing ok.

PiBee

Cavy Slave
@Skippie , thank you very much! I'm doing much better, although the pig she left behind is lonely :(

I don't think I'll ever know what happened to her as I didn't have enough time to get x-rays done, but whatever it was wasn't contagious to any of the other pigs she's been around. I really hope your pig is okay though, and that you find out what's wrong. They're such fragile creatures :(

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think it's possible it could be related, but it's also possible it wasn't. It's hard to say and without a necropsy, probably impossible to know. The choking and wheezing seems more like an issue with respiratory tract - it's possible she had allergies, although that's relatively rare.

I lost a pig to bloat and I know how quickly it creeps up on you and how ambiguous the symptoms can seem - I'm sorry you lost your girl.

PiBee

Cavy Slave
@Paula , it really was a confusing set of symptoms, but after I got over the shock of how quickly it all happened I decided to mark it down as bloat cause of her squishy belly. At least I have a ton of Critical Care left in case it ever happens again. Thank you :)

Skippie

Cavy Slave
Mine is back at the vet today. I am worried sick as he is boney-thin and now being pumped with meds again. They really are so fragile.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a male that developed bloat a few weeks after being neutered. Had I not know what bloat was, I wouldn't have known there was a problem. All of a suddent, he looked rounded like a balloon and then I noticed he wasn't pooping. I thumped his side and it sounded hollow. I quickly went to the pharmacy near us that's open 24 hours and got baby symethicone. I gave him 1/2 the pediatric dose twice a day and gently massaged his stomach. Once he started pooping, he kept on for quite a while. It came out like strings of toothpaste. I keep baby simethicone on hand now, just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.