Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from Germany!

Jennylein

Cavy Slave
My name is Jenny.

I'm a fleece newbie and that's why I decided to register in your forum. In Germany fleece bedding is not very popular.

Maybe you are interested in my pets and my German way of keeping guinea pigs. In Germany it's quite usual to keep one neutered boy with 2 or more girls. We think it's the most natural group. I've got five guinea pigs at the moment. I've also adopted two little babies who are going to join us in about three weeks.

So here are my little sweethearts:

This is the piggies' home. It's 2.6 metres long and 87 centimetres wide. The second area is 1.6 m x 0.6 m.

This is Rosalie:

Pauline:

Marlene:
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/51274582.jpg/

Carlotta:

The white guinea pig is Emil, my neutered boy:

Welcome to the forum! Great cage, and cute pigs!

I love you cage! Welcome to the forum!

Nice cage, and love the piggies well done for adopting the 2 babies as well ! Welcome to the forum.

What a gorgeous cage!! And your piggies are all adorable. I have a little girl that looks a lot like Rosalie. Where did you get all those cute little houses? If you don't mind my asking, are you German or an American living in Germany? Just wondered since your English is perfect.

Welcome! What a wonderful cage! Did you build it yourself?

Oh my goodness!!! That set up is so cool. I love it. Your little sweethearts are adorable too. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you. I'm very happy that you like it. :eek:

I built the cage together with my husband. It took a lot of time but we're still very proud. I think the piggies really enjoy living in "Schweinchenhausen" (That's how I call my little village.).

These cute houses are from Switzerland. A nice family builds and sells them. I hope it's allright to give you the link: (broken link removed)

If you don't mind my asking, are you German or an American living in Germany? Just wondered since your English is perfect.

Of course I don't mind :). I'm a native German and a teacher of English (and German) at a comprehensive school. So I'm really happy that you think my English is perfect. Thank you. If you'll find any mistakes I'd be glad if you told me (maybe via PM). :eek:

I'm really looking forward to learning more about your American way of keeping piggies.

I absolutely LOVE your cage and piggys!!! Welcome to the forum!

I am so jealous. I am glad my piggies can't see this cage. You did a great job with it and I can understand why you are proud.

You mentioned that it was common for people to have a neutered male. At what age are they neutered and is it easy to find a good vet to do it?

Here in Germany there are two different ways of neutering a male piggy:

1) You can neuter the baby boy at the age of 2-3 weeks and a weight of 200-250 g. Then you can directly leave the piggy with the girls.

2) You can neuter the male piggy at any age. Then you must separate him from the girls for six more weeks to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

In general every vet neuters male piggies because it's absolutely normal here. But it's always good to ask other keepers for a good vet. E.g. in our German forum you can get a list of competent piggy vets.

You mostly keep only and boys separated, don't you?

What a wonderful setup! Your piggies are just adorable! Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, we just keep the males separated from the females. Also, it seems like it costs the same to neuter any animal which is a couple of hundred dollars.

A couple of hundred dollars? Wow. We just pay between 40 and 60 euros.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.