Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My Swimming Pool is Ready for Two Piggers

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Originally I had my swimming pool pen for floor time divided in two to keep Amy and Borat from creating little Bo-Ams. Today we took the grids out in anticipation of putting Amy and Quinn together in it soon.

We left one grid in, and when they're both in there, I'll be hanging a water bottle on each side. I have two hidey houses and two tunnels in the pool. There's also two bowls to hopefully prevent any bullying over food.

You can just barely see Quinn's nose sticking out of the T-shaped tunnel segment if you look closely. I'll be starting her and Amy with their cages next door first, then intro on neutral territory, then playpen and connected cages (if all goes well). Hopefully the pool has enough space to avoid any major conflicts.
pigger.jpg

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Good idea! I have a bunch of suitable boxes because I give them to Amy as hideys in her cage pretty frequently. I'll pop some into the pool so there are plenty of "escape routes."

Amy is very dominant, but Quinn seems easygoing, so I have high hopes for the intro. Amy and Bo loved each other, or at least as much as they could with the very limited contact allowed. Hopefully she'll be glad to have a new friend, and one that she can actually hang out with completely.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Good luck!

PiggyPigLover

Cavy Slave
It's a great idea I'm going to try it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use one of those, too. Make sure you don't leave them unattended in there because some of mine can easily jump over the sides.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Good point, Pinky. To piggy back on that (pun intended), I consider this type of playpen for use on floors only. Never, ever on a table where a pig could be badly injured or killed if it jumps out. I remember reading about that happening on a thread here. I think the pool was on a table, the pig got startled by a noise, and it jumped out and was killed when it hit the ground.

I'm lucky to have a big family room that's open to the kitchen, so I'm either in there working on my laptop or my husband is in the kitchen cooking, so we can keep an eye on the girls all day. They absolutely love the pool, and Amy claimed the pigloo while Quinn claimed the wood hidey, so everything is peaceful.

jellyburp

Cavy Slave
what a great idea!

I currently have a 6 x 3 grid playpen/floor time area set up in my bedroom. I plan on expanding to a 7x4 or a 7x5!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.