Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning For cages with tops

bamahay127

Cavy Slave
I am planning on getting my first pigs in a few months and have a question about cage cleaning. I have a 5yr old boxer inside so my cage options are either buy a table to put the cage on and have it be open or put a top on it if it is low enough for Hayley to investigate. My questions are if your cage has a top how do you clean it and how easy is it to change bedding? I want to do a C&C cage and am just about ready to start purchasing gp supplies.
Thanks!

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
I have a top on my cage and find it perfectly easy to clean, but I don't have a C+C. It's made of strong mesh with a wood border. It folds in half for spot cleaning and feeding, petting, etc, or it can be easily lifted off for full cleaning; I imagine it'd be easy to make the same sort of thing with grids. We also made the cage 60cm high - roughly 2 grids. I think it looks much better (particularly for being able to check up on piggies without opening the top) and less cramped than 30cm high with a top, and it gives more scope for adding hides, branches, shelves, etc.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My cage has two lengths of closet shelving for lids. One is zip-tied down at the back side of the cage and on the sides, the other is hinged to the front side of that piece so it can be lifted to get into the cage. A carabiner clip holds the front one up when I'm cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.