Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting males! Please help!

QuirkyDancer

Cavy Slave
Please, I need advice!
I have two males. Cinnabun & Willibert. I had Willibert first & later got Cinnabun. When I introduced them, they got along fine. There was the obvious mounting & chattering.
But from last week they started jumping at each other & making distressed sounds. Then finally, yesterday as I was in bed I heard Cinnabun cry out. Panicked I saw blood on the bedding & immediately took him out. Willibert had bitten cinnabun's peewee & had to make a spur-of-the-moment cage. Should I have seperated them? How long should I wait? Should I get a cage & divide it so they still see each other? Just any tips or anything please tell me!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
If there was blood you need to seperate. Sometimes males will hate each other so much that they never get along again. My males are this way. Reko and Mojo lived together for over a year. One night Reko and Mojo started fighting (Last feb I believe). Since then any time they get together blood is drawn. I put them together (outside for outside time) in a huge pen and they attacked each other and both have wounds. It had been many months since they had even seen each other. Its sad but sometimes that just happens. :(

lissie

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? How old are your boys? They might be going through their teenage stage and may have to be separated until they calm down.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
Just get a cage seprater and see what happens.I am sorry to here that.

QuirkyDancer

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I just love them both I hate to see them hurt each other. Thank you so much! I'll need to be more cautious then.

QuirkyDancer

Cavy Slave
It is a store bought 1"x4". Ive been planning to upgrade to more spacious cage. One is 9 months & the other is 10. When does the teenage stage begin & end?

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
I know when my teens were in a store cage they fought pretty bad. No blood, i got them upgraded before that thankfully, but they had started to leap at eachother pretty violently. maybe making upgrading a priority would help your boys a lot. Boys need more room the average, for example my three are in a 16sq foot cage when on the front of the site 13.5sq feet is the recomended. And if they are in puberty stil (not sure how long it lasts. My two teens are just hitting that start age) space to get away could keep them happier. I know my teens stopped fighting all together after they moved cages. Then you would be able to keep them together! Which is always good!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It is a store bought 1"x4". Ive been planning to upgrade to more spacious cage. One is 9 months & the other is 10. When does the teenage stage begin & end?

1 inch by 4 inches??? Somehow I think it's probably a bit larger than that.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I know when my girls are put in a small cage they will fight. This could be simply fixed by a bigger cage, but it might just be that they are in the teenage stage, or that they just don't get along. I know if I put me three girls in a 2x5 (Which is the minimum for three) They would most likely come out with wounds, however in their 3x7 with a 2x2 connection and a loft, they get along wonderfully.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.