Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Nevada!

Liloismybaby

Cavy Slave
I am Liloismybaby and Lilo is my baby! Her name came from Lilo and Stitch the movie. I need help though, I think she might be pregnant and really need help if she really is. I don't want to go waste $160 at the vet on an ultrasound and X-Ray if she isn't actually pregnant. I am still considered a minor so I can't really take her to the vet without talking to my mom since she would have to drive me and I don't want to tell her what I suspect about her. I have only had her for a few days and she is the only one I own. There were however 4-6 other pigs in the cage with her when I picked her up. They were all pronounced females but I think one or a few may have been mis-sexed. Her symptoms include: eating and drinking ALOT, nesting?, sensitive to her stomach touched, and she is getting a pearish shape to her, which doesn't look normal. I am getting a scale tomorrow for her to monitor her weight. I am not sure how old she is but thinking a few months old.

Please help me and Lilo!

I would watch her for a couple weeks, about 2 weeks before she gives birth you will be able to feel the babies check out: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html The boys will have to be seperated at 3 weeks, sex them all at 2 weeks. you will need to baby proof you cage, check out the pregnancy forum on here (broken link removed). The babies and momma will also need extra calcium you can do this by providing sprigs of parsley or other safe calcium rich veggies, alfalfa hay, or alfalfa pellets

She eats broccoli everyday along with having vita drops in her water bowl(that is what she likes instead of a bottle) so she is getting a ton of calcium each day. I will read the links and what do I do to babyproof the cage?

Hi, welcome to the site. I believe you got suckered into getting a pregent guinea pig , it seems to happen a lot in general. That stinks hopefully your mom won't freakout, but its not like its your fault. keep us posted. :)

You need to make some major diet changes right away.

Broccoli is too gassy, and she may wind up with bloat, which is a medical emergency. Vitamin drops in her water are totally useless -- vitamin C deteriorates immediately when it's dissolved, so doesn't any good. And it may change the taste of the water and cause her to drink less. Throw the vitamin drops away.

A good diet for a pig is a couple of leaves of red or green leaf lettuce, 1/4 - 1/3 of a bell pepper, a small chunk of carrot, a cherry tomato, a couple of green beans, a slice or two of summer squash, a few sprigs of cilantro or parsley, some celery leaves. She needs about a cup of veggies per day.

She also needs long strand grass hay all the time -- it keeps her gut moving and her teeth ground down.

Read https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html for what she can have and how often.

Ok, thanks! She seems to like the broccoli though. Would oranges be ok? I read something that if I gave them some it would be some vitamin C for her. Does it matter what color of bell pepper? She also likes cucumber. I always have cherry tomotoes at my house since I eat them like crazy! I will try to change as much as I can. She also likes her timothy hay and fiesta max pellet food. I will have to get some grass hay. She has a toy in her cage for chewing purposes that she LOVES!

Timothy hay IS grass hay, along with orchard, meadow, blue and brome.

Fruit should only be an occasional treat -- a small piece a couple of times a week. It's high in sugar, and can upset a pig's GI tract. Cucumber can also be gassy, so watch that.

And I hate to be the bearer of so many bad tidings, but Fiesta Max guinea pig food is pure crap. Throw it out and get some plain timothy pellets, either Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, or order from (broken link removed).

Timothy hay IS grass hay, along with orchard, meadow, blue and brome.

Fruit should only be an occasional treat -- a small piece a couple of times a week. It's high in sugar, and can upset a pig's GI tract. Cucumber can also be gassy, so watch that.

And I hate to be the bearer of so many bad tidings, but Fiesta Max guinea pig food is pure crap. Throw it out and get some plain timothy pellets, either Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, or order from .

But she likes the Fiesta mix quite a bit. She eats a ton of it. Today alone she ate 1-1/2 bowls of it. And she loves the hay she is on so I will keep it that way. Cucumber she has had only once. Broccoli is given one little piece daily for the vitamin C. Anything else with vitamin C would be appreciated!

She doesn't need all those pellets. For one thing, they're very fattening, and you'll shortly wind up with a very obese pig.

For another, eating all those pellets will keep her from eating enough hay, and hay is by far the most important thing in her diet. It keeps her gut moving and her teeth ground down, and saves you from some very expensive vet bills.

Vegetables are the next most important thing, and she needs a cup of those per day.

If she's six months old or older, she should only have 1/8 cup of pellets per day. Many people don't feed their pigs pellets at all, as they're not that important in the overall scheme of things.

Anything else with vitamin C would be appreciated!

I gave you a link in post #5 that has a ton of good information about feeding your pig, including exactly how much vitamin C is in each item.

She doesn't need all those pellets. For one thing, they're very fattening, and you'll shortly wind up with a very obese pig.

For another, eating all those pellets will keep her from eating enough hay, and hay is by far the most important thing in her diet. It keeps her gut moving and her teeth ground down, and saves you from some very expensive vet bills.

Vegetables are the next most important thing, and she needs a cup of those per day.

If she's six months old or older, she should only have 1/8 cup of pellets per day. Many people don't feed their pigs pellets at all, as they're not that important in the overall scheme of things.

I gave you a link in post #5 that has a ton of good information about feeding your pig, including exactly how much vitamin C is in each item.

Ok, about the pelletes. She just likes them a lot! She eats alot of hay still that is why I think she is pregnant becuase she eats so much. I just got a call from my brother is watching her for the night so I could stay at a friends house and he had said that she finished a bowl of hay and a bowl of pellets. I am seriously thinking she is pregnant now. Plus another bowl of water! She is just over the top right now.

She may like the pellets a lot, but 1) there's a lot of junk in those pellets that aren't good for her; 2) pellets won't keep her teeth ground down, and if she eats too many pellets she won't eat enough hay, and you'll wind up with VERY expensive dental bills; 3) cheap pellets can contribute to excess calcium in the urine, leading to urinary tract stones, severe pain for your pig, and more expensive vet bills. If she were a child, would you feed her unlimited candy because she likes it, or would you try to get her on a more healthful diet?

I agree with @bpatters. Well said.
I personally myself recommend Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, since it is more commonly found, but KMS is great also, but you have to order it online.
I think also some Fiesta brands have seeds and/or nuts in them, which can cause a severe choking hazard, which again, leads to more vet bills.

Please don't think we are trying to be bossy or such, we just want to provide you with the correct information to the mistakes many new pet owners like you experience, you are not alone. :)

I will change it gradually. I have to go get her more aspen and paper bedding this week so I will get some different food. I will gradually switch it over. I will eventually order the food you guys were talking about.

Lilo update: She is gaining weight and becoming pear shaped. I have added alfalfa hay and Grreat Choice guinea pig pellets to her diet. The pellete are all pellets and it doesn't have anything else in it. She is doing pretty good but is still showing all signs I mentioned before. I already have 1 or 2 homes ligned up for 1-2 of the pups. I am looking into getting a C&C Cage for her soon. It will be the jumbo one with a top on it. I am also looking in to getting her a female playmate soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.