Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!! :)

MrsStewart

Cavy Slave
Hello all, my name is Tabitha, and my husband and I just got our first guinea pig baby. His name is Rodney and I'm guessing he's brindle in color? I'm not sure how old he is, but we got him from a couple who had only had him for a few months but their 4 year old lost interest in him, so they rehomed him. And they couldn't have found a better home for him, because my husband and I just adore him. Could anybody give me some information on what kinds of fresh fruits and veggies he'd love? I'm trying to give him a variety in his diet, because I know I'd get tired of the same ole thing.

We've had ours for about 2 weeks now (but she's older about 2-2.5 yrs) she loves carrots, green bell pepper and red leaf lettuce. She doesn't like strawberries, apples, oranges or small pieces of cucumber so far.

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a list of what you can feed and how often: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

An adult pig needs unlimited long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, blue, brome), about 1/8 cup of timothy pellets per day, and about 1 cup of veggies, fed in two or three portions. A baby pig gets the same thing, except fewer veggies and unlimited alfalfa pellets.

A good diet for a pig is red or green leaf lettuce (romaine causes sludgy urine in some pigs, and should be avoided if it affects your pig that way) and bell pepper as staples. One small piece of carrot a day is ok, fruit should be reserved for a small treat a couple of times a week. Other veggies which can be fed are tomatoes, cilantro, summer squash, a few green beans, endive, chopped celery or celery leaves, and parsley (for young pigs).

Hello!! :)Hello!! :)Hello!! :)
That's my boy <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.