Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Safety Question

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
The current wood shaving bedding makes my piggies sneeze a lot as it's very dusty and it gets smelly really soon. I saw a few people on here using wood pellets as a bedding and am considering it.
However, do the piggies try to eat it? Wouldn't wood pellets be a choking hazard for piggies?

(Where I live, we do not get recycled paper bedding i.e. Yesterday's News, CareFresh, etc. and I only need bedding for their litter box as I have cloth bedding in the rest of the cage. We get only one brand of wood pellet bedding that I was considering.)

Mine have not eat it. They did taste it when I first put it in the cage. I guess it doesn't taste that good.

Mine have not eat it. They did taste it when I first put it in the cage. I guess it doesn't taste that good.

I thought that the pellets would be too big to choke on, but wanted to confirm on here.

Unfortunately my piggies like to eat everything we give them so we have to be very careful about what goes in their cage.

The pellets are pretty big. They shouldn't be choking on it though. If they try to eat it, they'd probably be chewing on it and not gobble up the whole thing. The pellets I use are about the size of my pinky (about 1 knuckle long).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.