Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie looking for advice/suggestions

CoryL

Cavy Slave
We are new to this forum, wanting to get as much info. as possible, and everything we need BEFORE getting our piggies. With all the reading and research we've done, this is what we've come up with: (we are open to any advice or suggestions you may have) - We plan on purchasing a C&C Jumbo cage + 2x2 loft (read that the more room they have, the happier they will be) - We will be looking for 2 guinea pigs, preferably female (read somewhere that two males fight?) - We are hesitant in looking at pet stores since we don't really know how well they have been taken care of. Where else can we look? - Is it true we want to look for pigs that come to you when you put your hand in the cage? Is that a sign that they will be friendly and not skiddish? - What is the purpose of coroplast? - Is a cover necessary? - What other things are a necessity? - Where is the best place to purchase the food? I'm sure we'll have more questions once we bring our piggies home. Glad we found this forum. Thank you all for your help!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
((read somewhere that two males fight?)

Two males will not always fight. That is just a myth, I had two boars who were half brothers had never meet before I had introduced them and they have gotten on like best friends! I just recently added a third boy he is about 2 and a half months old and just loves my boys who are now 2 years old.

Male and female guinea pigs can fight, it just really depends on the pigs personality. (;

Anyway welcome! :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is it true we want to look for pigs that come to you when you put your hand in the cage? Is that a sign that they will be friendly and not skiddish?

My old guys come, but little Ron is still a bit hesitant, I don't really think that is a sign they will be friendly and not skiddish because they are prey animals, it is natural for them to hid and fear anything unknown to them. (;

I'm sure once you get your piggies they'll warm up to you in time. It took my girl just 2 weeks but I've heard that it has taken some piggies months to warm up to their owner.

CoryL

Cavy Slave
Thank you! This will definitely be our "go-to" place when we have questions! :cheerful:

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to this forum! Thank you so much for researching before you get your animals :)

The jumbo cage would be great for two guinea pigs! They will love all of the room.

Like the person who posted before, males can fight, but so can females. Guinea pigs all have different personalities and it just depends on finding two guinea pigs with personalities that get along well together, or finding an already bonded pair.

Please do not got go to a petstore or breeder. This site is very pro-rescue. Petstore animals come from breeding mills (like puppy mills) and purchasing from a petstore supports them.

Better places to look to adopt your guinea pigs are:
-Petfinder Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder
-Another good place to look is in shelters or humane societies near you. Some occasionally have guinea pigs come in even though they focus on dogs and cats.
-You can also type in google "your city's name (or the largest closest city to you) and guinea pig rescue" and maybe one will pop up. That's what I did to find my local small animal rescue.
-Another good place to look is on Craigslist > Cities
You just have to watch out for breeders who are trying to make a quick buck.

All guinea pigs are going to be skittish because they are prey animals. You have to take the time to sit with them and talk to them they get more used to you and they will become tame. Depending on the guinea pig, it may take a week or it may take months before your guinea pigs warm up to you.

The purpose of coroplast is to have an easy to clean surface and it also keeps most of the bedding, poos, and hay from getting on the floor.

A cover is necessary if you have other animals that can get into the cage and harm the guinea pigs like dogs or cats. If you do not have any other animals then a cage top is not necessary.

Hay is necessary for guinea pig's diet. They need hay 24/7, so they should never not have hay. Some of the best brands of hay are:
-Kleenmama's or KMS Hayloft (broken link removed)
-Oxbow (you can purchase it online from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products or in Petsmart)
-Sweet Meadow (broken link removed)
-If you live in an area where there is a feed store near you, then you can also buy bales of hay for not very much and it will last you a really long time for two guinea pigs.

You can purchase your food from many of the places listed above.
-Kleenmama's or KMS Hayloft (broken link removed)
-Oxbow (you can purchase it online from Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products or in Petsmart)
-Sweet Meadow (broken link removed)

Hope this helps and again welcome to the forum! :)

CoryL

Cavy Slave
What great suggestions!! This helped tremendously! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I'm hoping we will be able to find our guinea pigs through PetFinder or another type of "rescue" organization.

We will post a picture of our sweet little babies when we get them.

Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.