Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, All!

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Well, I finally did it. I adopted my guinea pigs this afternoon! I had a guinea pig when I was younger, so, thankfully, this isn't my first time to the rodeo. It is, however, my first time owning a pair of sows, and I couldn't be more excited!

It's only been 6 hours, but I am already so so so in love with them.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new little girls!!
We would love to see some pictures of them!

Welcome to the forum! Would love to see some pigtures :)

Thank you! I got a few pictures that I (hopefully) will upload later. Now I'm having to supervise them. They were together since they were born and they've had no history of fighting, but suddenly they've started freaking out on each other. =[ I'm really worried, now.

How big is your cage?

6 sq ft, it's the biggest I can have at the moment =[

Ohh 6 sq ft isn't big enough and most likely the reason they are fighting. If you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond nearby, you can pick up a box of grids (they are around $18). You can make a much bigger temporary cage until you can get some coroplast for a real cage.

They are probably establishing dominance also. Dont separate unless there is blood. Id try to get them in a bigger cage also. The minimum is 7.5 sq ft

The thing is, I really am not able to fit any bigger a cage , and they were kept three to a 3 sq ft cage, so I honestly feel that the last foot is going to be a huge killer (although I know this forum is very pro-biiiiig cage, and I'm not trying to be snarky). I bought them a second hut, and set out a second dish of food and they seem to have settled down in their own huts, without any other fighting. Until I am in a situation to build a better cage, do you think that will help?

@KittyKrochet, please keep your posts about your pigs and space on the same thread. Leave this one as your introductions/pictures/whatever thread, and put your questions about behavior on the other one. It makes it very hard to keep up with what's going on with your pigs when the same questions are asked in multiple threads.

Just fyi 7.5 is the minimum for 2 piggies, 10.5 is suggested... Bigger is better! I'm not trying to be snarky either but I hope you'll find a way to make room for a bigger cage for your two new fur babies :)

BTW: Congrats! Thanks for adopting! :)

Welcome I'm Amy and may we please see some pictures or should I say pigtures.

More space is likely to stop the fighting. Perhaps you have a different room where you can spread a cage out more or maybe rearrange some furniture to accommodate a larger cage but 6 sq ft really isn't big enough.

As @CavyMama said, is their any way you could move some stuff around to make a bigger cage? We are not pro biiiiiig cages, we are pro giving your cavys what they need to be happy and healthy, and 7.5 square feet for two pigs is the very very very bare minimum for that. However I even, in my opinion, disagree with that, and think the minimum should be even bigger than that, maybe something around 10 square feet for each pig, that's the rule I abide by, therefore my three (Used to be four) pigs have about a 40 square foot cage. However again that's my personal opinion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.