Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Strange Genital

Trub231

Cavy Slave
I picked up my male Guinea Pig today and was looking under him when I noticed where the penis should come out there was skin hanging out and what looked like 2 small claws. Is this normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's what a guinea pig penis looks like. They're called prongs.

Trub231

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that. I have only had guinea pigs since January and never noticed it before. Is it ok for it not to fully retract inside the body?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, they do usually retract fully. Is your pig older, or overweight?

Some male pigs develop problems where their penises do not fully retract, and require lubrication around the shaft to help it slide back in better. I've even read of a case where the penis completely failed to retract, and the vet put in some stitches across the end of the sheath to keep it from coming out any more than was needed for the pig to urinate. But that was a pretty drastic case.

I'd check him carefully and make sure there's nothing inside the sheath that is causing him pain or keeping the penis from retracting. You can get some pretty gross stuff out of there, and may have to start cleaning him on a regular basis.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Boars tend to get smegma, dried semen, hair, hay, and other foreign objects stuck in the prepuce, making it impossible to retract the penis. I would extend the penis carefully, gently remove anything that shouldn't be there, apply a thin coat of lubricant (plain old KY jelly will work fine and is available at drugstores), and put his penis back in. He will be traumatized, of course.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.