Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Occasional itching?

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
So, my family and I finally made our move to Michigan! It was a pleasant ride, and I made sure my boys (Hawkeye and Radar) were made as comfortable as possible for the trip. I gave them a warm place to snuggle, and kept them covered with an extra blanket to muffle noise and light for them - they were in a carrier, of course. They had plenty of hay and food for the trip, and I made sure to stop every couple hours to let them stretch, get some water, and some wet veggies to help keep them hydrated. Kept the temp in my car cool but not cold, as I knew their fleece blankie was a bit thick.

The first thing I did when I got home was set up their C&C cage (even though I was literally exhausted, my babies come first!). I have noticed, however, that they have been scratching somewhat off and on. It isn't persistent, and there is no hair loss or anything that I can see on their fur. (Radar is a bit longer haired, and I noticed a bit of spotty dandruff along his black hairs when petting him) Neither appear to be in any discomfort when handling them. If it continues, what are some warning signs that it might be mites/lice? Their bedding was recently washed - could it be the detergent?

Sorry if this seems like an ignorant question(s)...I just want to make sure I'm doing right by them, as I am a relatively new cavy slave (<6 months). Any responses are greatly appreciated, and I will keep my eye on them!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Those questions aren't ignorant-- It would be ignorant NOT to ask!

Mites: My girls have Mites, but I have treated twice and they are doing better. Look for hair loss in a V-shaped pattern on their backs-- This is where they can scratch with their feet and bite with their teeth-- for the main sign of Mites. Itching is a sign of Mites, but they have to be itching a lot.

About dandruff, though, I don't know. I would wait to see if any of these problems progress or get worse, and then seek further help. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Maybe they are in a funk from the trip.

Also, WELCOME TO MICHIGAN! Haha. I am in Muskegon. Dunno where Ecorse is, though.

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the fast reply! I will watch them carefully, and check for any sore spots that might be hiding beneath (haven't seen any yet). If I see it becoming troublesome for them, or notice the pattern you mentioned, I'll be sure to treat it quickly.

And thanks for the welcome! Ecorse is a small area just south of Detroit (you literally hit Motor City's limits going down the road!) Loving the weather, even being originally from Florida. I was made for cooler temps and less humidity!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the fast reply! I will watch them carefully, and check for any sore spots that might be hiding beneath (haven't seen any yet). If I see it becoming troublesome for them, or notice the pattern you mentioned, I'll be sure to treat it quickly.

And thanks for the welcome! Ecorse is a small area just south of Detroit (you literally hit Motor City's limits going down the road!) Loving the weather, even being originally from Florida. I was made for cooler temps and less humidity!

The weather has been weird-- Don't expect it that humid and hot all the time! Always have a bottle of frozen water on hand for when it does happen though, for the Piggies to stay cool. Michigan is known for unpredictable weather.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.