Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dandruff and itching

kairi26

Cavy Slave
We've had Gus for over a year now, and he's always been an itchy pig. It's not too persistent, but he scratches at his flanks more often than our other pig does. He often has little cowlicks where I can tell he's been scratching, but he's never injured himself, barbered, or had patchy fur loss.

We treated him with ivermectin from the vet a few months after we got him just in case he had mites, but his symptoms were never severe and the itching didn't decrease. I'm suspicious that he might have allergies, but we've never been able to isolate the source.

Now, a year later, he's developed moderate dandruff. Everything I've read here, on guinealynx, and from vet sources says that dandruff is abnormal for guinea pigs unless they have parasites or a fungal infection.

I don't see any symptoms of ringworm, and I figure that if he had a fungal infection I'd probably have symptoms from handling him by now. We only bathe him a few times a year with a gentle, hypoallergenic, soap-free pet cleanser, so I don't think we dried out his skin.

I'm wondering if it seems likely that he actually has mites this time, or if this is just my itchy pig being itchy. Should I take him back to the vet, or am I overthinking this?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How many times did he get treated with ivermectin? It takes three treatments to completely get rid of mites .

The timing of the treatment with ivermectin is also important. Three doses, 7-10 days apart. Sometimes four, if it's a bad infestation. Also, if the ivermectin isn't strong enough, it won't work.

We treated 3 times with the appropriate gaps last year. Our vet didn't suspect mites at the time, but agreed that it was fine as a precaution since he was new.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.