Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Shelly needs help!

san_sam

Cavy Slave
I am scared to death as my poor boys Sheldon's health seems to be going down hill. He has been a little lethargic for the past two days and today his breathing looks very abnormal and he has white discharge from his eyes. His tummy has gone in and looks a lot thinner. I checked his breathing and I could hear that clicking kind of noise while he is breathing. I am almost sure that it's URI and I am heart broken :'( I so badly need a hug and support from you guys to make my boy recover soon. As many of you know here I live in Chennai and all my efforts in finding a Cavy savy vet looks to be failure. I am going to treat my boy on my own but I need help from you all who have treated your piggies with URI. It's really hard for me to look at him suffering :'( First thing in the morning I am getting bactrim for him. There is not even a single pet store around my place so I'll have to get it from a regular pharmacy. So, please suggest me the best brand for it and please tell me it's all going to be al right and my boy will be safe :'( I can't loose him :'(

Good luck!! Praying for your little fur baby to get well!!

Since you don't have an exotic vet nearby, I'd print off the medication information from the guinealynx site and get Sheldon to the nearest competent vet. At least they will be able to tell you if it's URI or if it's worsened to pneumonia. They will be able to read the info on the different guinea pig safe meds and dose it properly.

I really hope your guinea pig feels much better. Guinea pigs are such wonderful creatures.

Since you don't have an exotic vet nearby, I'd print off the medication information from the guinealynx site and get Sheldon to the nearest competent vet. At least they will be able to tell you if it's URI or if it's worsened to pneumonia. They will be able to read the info on the different guinea pig safe meds and dose it properly.

Hi Pinky
Thanks a lot for the reply. He has been sick only for the past two days and I am very sure it is not pneumonia. There is not even a single vet for around 15km radius :( So, I want the dosage suggestion from you guys :(

Hi Pinky
Thanks a lot for the reply. He has been sick only for the past two days and I am very sure it is not pneumonia. There is not even a single vet for around 15km radius :( So, I want the dosage suggestion from you guys :(

I'm not sure if a pharmacy will sell Baytril without a prescription.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that they are prey animals that try and hide illnesses to protect themselves. He could be sicker than you think. I think I'd still try and find a vet, just to determine how sick he is.

Saying a prayer for you and your baby. I know how traumatic a URI is (and how easy it is to miss symptoms at first) because that's how I lost Mufasa. I hope you'll be able to get the medication and that Sheldon will pull through. If he's not eating, can you get some Critical Care to syringe feed him? That's what I had to do for Borat last week, and it really helped him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.