Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

new c&c cage!!

happie gurl

Cavy Slave
I'm soo exited i get to build my piggies a c&c cage this weekend!! :D yay!

Right now I'm looking in the galery for some ideas :)
Do any of you know what your pigs like most in your c&c cages?
I know for shure that I am building a second level, and a hayrack...what else do your piggies enjoy?
I have two guinea's, do any of you have a cage that you think would fit them, and the kind of cage I want..one that you dont mind if I use your design?
I wan it big, and spacey, so they can fit there hidey huts, and run around..but not huge, because I have to be able to move around the room. And my mom says that "I'm sorry , but the pigs can't rule the entire house..one room is bad enough" lol.

Thanks! :)
but how do you build a second floor? Like..what supports it?

you use grids/cubes underneath. also you use a plank of wood or some sort of bar which you thread through to give it extra support. look at the pics really carefully and you'll figure it out!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
You do not need support for a 1x2 upper level, anything bigger, and you do. I bent grids in half and used them as supports.

You don't need support for any loft that is a 1x?. If you build say a 1x4 a loft around a corner, and use zip ties and connectors, it's plenty stable. I have made so many variations of lofts from 1x2 up to a 2x3.

oh ok then. I have made my cage! My pigs LOVE it. Mojo is crazy about the loft, he keeps running up and down the ramp. I was going to get a pole for support but I wont bother now :)

I'll put some pics up in a minute.

yay!
I have found out how big, and what style cage I am making! :)
I am making a 2X4 base, and a 2X2 loft (second level).
Do you guys think thats good?
What do you use to support the second level without sectioning off the bottem level??

I dunno. My 2X3 loft is holding up fine, but I over lapped my grids. It only sags very slightly and only because my fat cat likes to sit on the cage now.

I also used cables ties if that makes a difference.

oops! I already posted that question on here. hehe sorry I'm kinda tired right now lol.

I used connectors and my 2x2 ended up falling down. I advise using cable ties.

ooh I see slap, so you like bend it right in half, and stick it between the second level and the loft.

ok, I have lots of those :) thanks for the advice! :)

hey slap are you on chat? if your not then can you go on?

To avoid using up space in the bottom level with the bent grid you can zip tie another grid to the bottom across where the grids connect. That will keep it from bending where you zip tied. It even worked for putting a 2x4 cage above my 2x3,2x4 L cage. I didn't have to put any supports touching the bottom cage.

I loved Ly's idea to put her ramp on top of a hidey house and not give up floor space. We might add a second level, and attach a tube like voodoo's cable tied to a bent grid that they can still run through. I love watching them run in laps -- it's hysterical!

Oh, and HAVE FUN building your new cage, happie gurl! Can't wait to see it....

widallas said:
I loved Ly's idea to put her ramp on top of a hidey house and not give up floor space.

I did that in the girls first C&C cage. They loved hopping on top of the hidey box and running up the ramp. I no longer have a wood ramp in the cage though. Now I have about a 3' length of pvc pipe cut in half lengthwise that I use for their ramp, but they don't have a loft at the moment because I didn't want Baby Elly getting hurt or going through the loft grids. They will get their loft back soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.