Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties two new rats!

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Ok, so after a few months of thinking about them and doing LOTS of research, I finally decided to get 2 baby rats! I found them advertised on Craigslist as feeders (free to a good home) so I went and get 2 females (we named them Pip and Pixie). They are 5 weeks old and still a little shy but warming up pretty quickly. I found a HUGE 4 level ferret cage down the street at the curb for the garbage men to get (it's in GREAT condition, just needed a good scrub down). At first, the girls didn't know what to do with all the space. I added hammocks, braided fleece ladders, a dig box full of dirt, a litter box with carefresh, a tunnel, etc. (don't worry, the cage is enormous) and now they are having a lot of fun. I ordered Harlan Teklan (sp?) block for them and give them fresh veggies and other healthy treats. If anyone has any advice, feel free to post. I will get pictures of them soon, I promise.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I really don't know much about rats, so I can't help you there.
I can't wait for pictures!! Congrats! They will have a wonderful life with you!

Delaine

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your rats. They are the most wonderful pets. I had a female named Clancy and she was amazing. We let her have the run of the house and she always went back to her cage to do her business. She would come when she was called and would come into the kitchen when we were cooking and beg for food. She would take the food and run and hide it, we found out later under the couch in the living room. She loved to ride in the car and would sit on my shoulder while I drove around. They are so smart and mine loved to be picked up. I love my two guinea pigs, but I think once my two girls are gone I probably would get a rat rather than more guinea pigs. They are smaller and easier to take with you and also more outgoing. Have fun with them. I would love to see pictures. Clancy was a Japanese Hooded rat.

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for rescuing these babies from a terrible fate. Rats make such wonderful pets. It sounds like you've spoiled them already. Their cage sounds wonderful. My three girls have the Critter Nation. Your cage sounds very similar. I wonder if it is the Ferret Nation. Rats absolutely love to run up and down the ramps. I'm always so happy when owners put them in a cage with different levels.
A favorite occasional treat for my rats is a very small dish of plain oatmeal. They love oatmeal.
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the new babies.

It's not a Critter Nation, though I would LOVE one just for the ease of cleaning it. The only downfall of my cage is that it only has one small door and it is a PAIN to clean but it was free so I can't complain too much. I think the name on the cage says Del Mar (it's scratched off a little). It's similar to a Martins cage, which is what I have my ferrets in.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So glad you rescued your new babies. Check out ratsrule.com for all things rats.
My daughter had rats from the time she was 8 yrs old. ferrets came later. (both huge cages are sitting in my back bed room)
Would love to see some pictures of your great cage and your ratties.

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
hi kittymalone! I recently also got 2 rats (about a month ago). I opted for boys because they are a little lazier and more chill... I buy harlan teklad locally, since you have to buy a whopping 20 lbs at a time online! Here's my two boys. BTW, most of my wire floors are covered with fleece usually... two new rats!two new rats!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Great pictures!

kala83

Cavy Slave
I have three lil guys myself they are the light of my life. they are all sweet hearts, one of them isa lil more aggessive then the oithers he is going through puberty but with extra attension given to him and affection I am hoping to turn his behavior around and it already has.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
Rats are so much fun and lovable! Thanks for rescuing them from an awful fate!!!

loveskittles

Cavy Slave
Omg They look like my dd rat's maggie.. we had 4 of them.. we are down to one and one on her way out.. Me and my kids loved there pet rat's.. they never relly ran away from the kids they would just sit on the couch and hang with the kids. they leard the kid frige and coubord sound and would run to the couch arm and sit there waighting for there fishie cracker treat. lol

mistymu

Cavy Slave
they look soooo gorgeous

theratwhisperer

Cavy Slave
Rats are my fave pets to have (obviously by looking at my screen name and the fact I run not only a blog but also a Facebook page all about them!)
Congrat on your new additions!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.