Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Bottles

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
I know this is going to seem like a strange question, but are glass water bottles "healthier" for guinea pigs?

I know with food dishes it's best to stay away from plastic because they can get scratched up and grow bacteria.

So I was just wondering, won't it be the same with water bottles?

I definitely believe glass water bottles to be cleaner. All sorts of stuff grows on plastic. You can run them through the dishwasher even. However, they almost always leak (at least the 3 living world ones I bought did)! I've gone to Creme Brulee ceramic bowls and love them. They say even with water bottles you're supposed to change the water daily, so the shallow bowls are perfect, I just change the water each morning and put them in the corner so they don't run through them :)

I have heard that water bowls increase the likelihood of water inhalation. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in on this?

I'm hoping to get glass bottles soon. You still have to clean them daily, and you can use tidy mats under them to absorb any drips. Tidy mats are just two pieces of fleece and absorbent material sandwiched in the middle. They seem like an easy sewing project. You can also buy them on Etsy and such.

My worry of plastics is chemicals that leech out over time. I don't recall seeing BPA-free pet water bottles around here.

If you are changing water daily you should have zero concern about chemical leeching into your pig's water.

I don't use water bowls because they can be tipped over, stepped in, and pooped in. I have 4 pigs in one cage, so the likelihood of someone messing with a water bowl is quite high.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.