Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

cynpz

Cavy Slave
Hi! Im a new guinea pig owner (almost!) and id love the help of this community! im adopting him from a friend of my mom's and i am SO excited! i have been wanting a pig for a while and have done my research to make sure i knew wha i needed to know and that i was ready. well, i am now! ill bring my little bud home on thursday! i was hoping to also adopt another from his owner, but they were both females and are possibly pregnant, so i'll have to wait. I have 30x? cage for him right now, but i was looking into getting a c&c cage so he can be more comfortable and for when i do get another piggy. I was looking on the 'linens and things' website, and found all sorts of cubes/grids. i was wondering if anyone knew about 'Perforated polypropylene' cubes? they dont have the tiny grids in them and i thought would be safer for the pigs, but im unsure about the material theyre made of. can you please help? im looking for the best for my pigs and id also like to save some money. thank you! :)

Hello and welcome!
I'm not sure about the grids, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

When I google it, the pictures aren't very big, so it's hard to tell how sturdy they are. But they look ok as far as I can tell.

thanks for such a prompt reply! :) ive read that the are sturdy, im just worried about the material that they're made of. im not sure if it may be toxic to them if they inhale it too much or chew it (you know how some platics smell) but im going to end up getting the regualr grids from staples. they're about the same price and are already proven to be safe. but in case anyone would wanna see exactly what im talking about, im posting the link to the ones i came across. thanks for your help :) im picking up my little bud tomorow! after hes settled in and comfortable, ill post a picture! do you guys have any personal tips for his first home?

(broken link removed)

yes I have the same ones and you can get them right now at walmart they are on clearance for 10 and you get like 16 grids. or if you want the other kind ebay has them and c and c cages too.

Hello and welcome. I looked at the link you provided for your cubes and Wow, they are expensive if all you get is enough to make what is shown. The grids most people use are from walmart or places like that and are much less expensive.

Here is a link to show you what I mean.
Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked - Walmart.com

I know they aren't that pretty blue, but you can't beat the price.
lol

wow! i found some just like that at staples for much more! i will Definately get those! thanks soooo much! the reason i really wanted to know about te others, was because it didnt look like id have to buy the plastic bottom (coroplasts?).. where do you get those from? are they pricey?

you have the polypropolene ones?! ive never seen them at walmart! did you still have to buy the plastic coroplast bottom? about how much did you spend? (sorry for the all questions, im new at this :/) thanks!

yes I have the same ones and you can get them right now at walmart they are on clearance for 10 and you get like 16 grids. or if you want the other kind ebay has them and c and c cages too.

I was looking at the blue ones.
I think you would still have to put something in the bottom of them so that the piggy(piggies) are not walking directly on the wire.

You don't need to use cloroplast. You can use anything that will make the bottom smooth and protect their feet.

agree. thank you so much! :D ill look into other things that i can use for the floor. maybe my parents have something laying around

I was looking at the blue ones.
I think you would still have to put something in the bottom of them so that the piggy(piggies) are not walking directly on the wire.

You don't need to use cloroplast. You can use anything that will make the bottom smooth and protect their feet.

you have the polypropolene ones?! ive never seen them at walmart! did you still have to buy the plastic coroplast bottom? about how much did you spend? (sorry for the all questions, im new at this :/) thanks!
my walmart only has these kinds right now i bought one box 16 grids for about 12 dollars and then the five dollar blanket I use. Yes I use all purpose blanket doubled. You could use any old blanket over shower curtain or pee pads the ideas are really endless.

I would share my temporary set up (I have a c and c cage on its way that im going to add to these grids) Hello!Hello!Hello!Hello!Hello!

Welcome to the forum!!!!!:cheerful: Congratz!!!! You're going to be a mommy, soon possibly a grand-mommy! Hope you have fun with your bundles of joy! Hahaha!

-sarica

wow! i think im going to try this! so that he can have his cage a seperate home and so that buying his current cage doesnt end up to be a total waste! thanks so much for the pictures!!!! im going to head to walmart soon and pray that they have some in stock!

thanks! :) i wanted to get him a companion in the future but was warned about the risks of pregnancy and labor? how common are the risks for the mother, do you know?

Welcome to the forum!!!!!:cheerful: Congratz!!!! You're going to be a mommy, soon possibly a grand-mommy! Hope you have fun with your bundles of joy! Hahaha!

-sarica

The risk that the mother may die is 20%

your welcome and remember to post pics and keep us updated

i just got home from walmart and... I GOT THEM! they were on sale for $10!!! i almost got two boxes! but i dont have the room for that big of a cage at the moment. hes alone so itll be perfect for him!! im so excited! im going to start assembling it right now! thank you tons for telling about them at walmart. i was already going to buy a pack at staples for $40!

your welcome and remember to post pics and keep us updated

Glad I could help

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.